1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Come Kiss the Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, but they do when they get a Tea Party type in. There are all kinds of examples about the more extreme candidate winning the primary, leaving the GOP out of luck in the general.

Here's an article by Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill that highlights what I'm talking about:

How I Helped Todd Akin Win — So I Could Beat Him Later

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is what 538 was getting at, with its pieces on how Trump isn't favorable to Republican voters. As long as there are 5+ or 10+ "serious" candidates, then Trump has a chance of winning primaries because the vote is split in enough ways. The sooner the field narrows, the worse it is for him. Even if Republican voters aren't thrilled with how Jeb Bush campaigns, they're still probably going to vote for him over Trump.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you say so. They seem to be getting pretty good results getting congressmen, senators and governors elected lately.

4. LongTimeListener

Many of the people winning were from what the Tea Party fondly called the "RINO surrender caucus." The Lamar Alexanders et al. who are Republicans but not the kind of Republicans that the far right wants, and Republican-on-Republican violence is as much to blame for gridlock as is any difference between the parties. Look at Boehner's status as but one example.

That's my point -- there is a disconnect. I wouldn't bet on Trump winning, but it isn't completely unfeasible either given the ideological splits within the party itself.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There are more than a few Tea Party types in office as well. I agree there is a disconnect between that group and what they like to call "the Republican establishment" or "RINOs," but it doesn't seem to be hurting the party much in general elections.

6. LongTimeListener

But it will. I read it on Daily Kos!

doctorquant likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm 100 percent with you on both counts.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is awesome.

In the Quinnipiac University poll released today, respondents were asked this question about some of the top candidates:

What is the first word that comes to mind when you think of [candidate's name here]? That's it. Open-ended, not leading in any way.

Here are the top responses (with the number of people who said it) for Donald Trump: Arrogant (58), blowhard (38), idiot (34), businessman (34), clown (34), honest (30), ego (29), money (29), outspoken (28), crazy (26).

Wait, it gets better.

Here are the top 10 for Hillary Clinton: Liar (178), dishonest (123), untrustworthy (93), experience (82), strong (59), Bill (56), woman (47), smart (31), crook (21), untruthful (19). BTW, next were criminal and deceitful, tied with 18.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your frontrunners for the office of President of the United States!

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

More Fun with Fo-Tos ...

[​IMG]

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I notice the words "asshole" and "bitch" were not among the options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.