1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Genie ain't going back in the bottle ever. We will civil war ourselves into oblivion before they ever take a single gun back. It's who we are. And yesterday's journalists are just 2 more dead people.

SnarkShark likes this.
  2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh, no, it didn't go over my head. I knew exactly what you meant. But it didn't fit my argument so I ignored it and attempted to change the subject.
    Hell, I'm halfway toward becoming a presidential candidate. :)

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When you pull that out, it's time to admit you've lost. Banning cars would also save innocent lives. Banning hammers and axes would save innocent lives. Banning ice picks would save innocent lives. Banning letter openers would save innocent lives. Banning candlesticks would save innocent lives. Banning lighters would save innocent lives. Banning candles would save innocent lives. Banning swimming would save innocent lives. Banning knives would save innocent lives. Banning smoking would save innocent lives. Banning bicycles would save innocent lives. Banning skateboards would save innocent lives. Banning cement on sidewalks, roads and driveways would save innocent lives. Banning stairways would save innocent lives. Banning boats would save innocent lives. Shit, banning rooftops of higher than 8 feet would probably save at least one innocent life. Want me to go on?

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And of all those things you rattled off, none was created for the sole purpose of killing.

5. old_tony

More laws for DAs and Judges to ignore certainly will fix this problem.

6. old_tony

I would guess that whoever invented guns invented them for the purpose of security of the owner. Do you think security of the owner is a bad thing?

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Killing.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And what does "purpose of security" mean? Does the gun bark loudly like a dog? Does it make a loud, annoying, high pitched noise like an alarm? The reason why the gun works is because the thing that comes out of the barrel is traveling at such a speed it causes significant damage to what it hits. And if the thing it hits is a human being, that human is injured, likely seriously, or possibly dead. So please tell me more about "for the purpose of security."

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or hunting or war.

Nah, probably your thing.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Killing > Security

11. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Another tired, worthless, useless post.

Let's see:

Lighters are regulated. They are generally harder to use than they were 25 years ago.

Bicycles in many cities are regulated. If I went out right now, in the dark, with no bike light, I could be fined heavily.

Candles are an outright safety violation in most sensible workplaces.

Knives are already banned in many workplaces. At some where they aren't banned, the knives are actually used for things other than killing. (Pro-gun zealots have a difficult time with this concept.)

I never use a hammer or an axe without eye protection. I would bet it's mandated for jobs that require the use of those tools.

Smoking is already banned in many, many places.

I've known people involved in boating accidents. Life jackets saved some of them. I believe those are required on open waters in many places.

The argument that nothing can be regulated EVER is the argument of complete dumbshittery.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted