1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think much could have been done in this case, but it seems in many cases that something should have raised a red flag.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And as to your last point. So? Isn't that the point? To make it more difficult to get guns? If that's not the goal then the issue is already dead.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're right.

Any politician who wants to make an issue for gun control should stop playing around with vague calls for us to do more, and other have measures.

If gun control is an issue for you, call for an amending of the Constitution.

Hell, if Starman thinks any right to lifer who is unwilling to blow up an abortion clinic is a coward, what is a gun control advocate without the guts to call for a change to the Second Amendment?

Gun control advocates should get together and draft a proposal. I would urge every state legislature to give it a swift vote.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Slight threadjack, but wouldn't that point also apply to abortion?

5. YankeeFan

Give me an example of a murder that "went national" in the last several years where this wasn't the case?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All banning and no play makes Tony a dull boy.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The one thing I never understand in this argument. If you're pro gun and against any new laws/regulations to top gun violence citing the second amendment or some other bullshit rhetoric, aren't you essentially saying you're fine with the status quo and willing to fight to keep things as they are right now?
    Because that's what this boils down to. There are two sides. You either think something has to change or you think it doesn't. There is no middle ground here.
    And if you don't think something should change, to me, you're living an incredibly jaded life if two journalists getting killed on live TV is just the cost of living in a free society and not worth pursuing a change to going forward.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They're heavily regulated. Those who say they want "regulation" actually mean they want them banned.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hearts have to change. But actually expecting people to live to certain standards completely sends the left into an apoplectic rage.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

OK. This went over my head. Please elaborate.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true, though I am surprised by how many folks on here have pushed for bans. That heavy regulations need to be strictly followed, and things like high-capacity mags/assault-style rifles need to be reconsidered.

12. YankeeFan

In November, however, Flanagan was reprimanded once again – this time for wearing a sticker of President Obama while standing in line to vote in that year’s general election. Dennison told him he had clearly breached not just company regulations but also “standard journalistic ethics”. The news director wrote that they were “fast reaching the point” where Flanagan’s violations of policy “could mean termination”.

Vester Flanagan told to seek medical help by Virginia TV station, say memos

Draft saved Draft deleted