1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why would she ...

... want to shoot him?

JC likes this.
  2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'd like more sourcing to the numbers then I've found right now. What I've seen on a quick look is a firearm homicide rate of 2.3 for whites in US (and a murder rate of 2.5). Will update if I find better sourcing. Just don't have the time to dive through FBI tables right now.

3. Songbird

As for the future, to make any kind of inroads would probably involve a concerted effort by the government, the mental health field, and Big Pharma ...

... as in making it really fucking hard to secure a gun if you're in a national database of people with head problems.

How do you go about doing that? You start by overcompensating to the extreme and diagnosing ANY kid with even the remotest sign of a problem at a very young, thus putting them into the "You Better Keep An Eye on This Potential Cuckoo" database, then bloating them with head drugs. That kind of concerted effort might start making a difference (whatever that means) 10-15-20 years down the road. You'd have to go by the assumption that stopping even one person 15 years from now by implementing policy today is the logical procedure. I don't even think I like that idea because there's too much of a Brave New World aspect to it. Dope 'em up young, hoss!

For all of that, what are we going to do about the 300 million guns in circulation right now? Next year it will be 315 million. In 5 years it'll be 400 million, then half a billion.

The number is too staggering to comprehend.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2.3/100,000?

I think that includes Hispanics, though.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As I've said before, you'll never have a hunter or a veteran seek help for mental health problems if this is the course of action.

6. Songbird

You don't start with the hunters. You're starting with TODAY moving forward, targeting kids at a young age in an attempt to make getting a gun very difficult in 10-15-20 years.

But would that even work?

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yes, lets's stigmatize and drug EVERY child just in case. Jeez, 'bird.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Going back to this case, I found this statement from the story link on page 1 of this thread curious:

"Franklin County Sheriff Bill Overton said Flanagan made arrangements to rent that vehicle more than 10 days ago."

So, that would seem to indicate to me that this was a pre-planned event for this particular date. Unless you can somehow have an open ended car rental reservation?

If that's the case, was he targeting these two specifically or was he just going to take out whoever happened to be lined up for that day's newscast? I'm guessing there were certainly others at the station that were on his 'list'. If these two, how would he even know they would be scheduled for this day? May need some help from the TV folks here to give some insight into scheduling logistics and the like.

Maybe I'm missing something here or just not knowledgeable enough about newscast scheduling and the like.

In any event, it leads to wonder if these two just happened to be scheduled for the wrong day.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He probably parked outside the station and followed them when they left on assignment that morning.

10. Songbird

Hey, I didn't say that's what *I* want to do but I wouldn't be surprised if they went this route.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He knows what he did.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ace, we've been through this.

You can't create unnecessary barriers to prevent people from exercising their constitutional rights. The courts would see that for what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted