1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So the 2nd Amendment can be modified, right?

Dr. Q just gave a bunch of examples of it being modified, right?

I'm just keeping that out there for future reference.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of those, so I will take my well-deserved drubbing on that account. All I was told by the esteemed 93Devil was that Toobin was a writer for The New Yorker and had been CNN's legal correspondent/analyst.

And, just as a by-the-by, I don't toss out the Nobel Prize-winning economist based on his political leanings. I toss him out because he routinely blows off his own research so he can score a better seat at the cool kids' table.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yes, amendments can be amended.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If you can find .22 LR ammo. It's scarce because every box that gets put on store shelves gets bought almost immediately. A box of 50 that used to go for $2 or $3 goes for nearly three times that these days.

5. doctorquant

Sure it can. Jeffery Toobin says there's even a legal process by which the Constitution can be amended. Do a quick Google to see if he's spelled out the arcana by which that strategy can be effected.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

But .22 ammo has a lot lower lethality in a self defense situation.

I prefer my 12 gauge. Blow a hole through you and can take your head clean off with one shot when at close range.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I agree that the guy has credentials. That's why I wouldn't have reached for his 20 year long association with the New Yorker as my top reason to pay attention to what he said.

But, like you with Mark Steyn, Devil probably had never heard of Toobin before he went on a mad Googling attempt to buttress his own argument.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think only mob hitmen (and maybe just in the movies) used a .22 as a weapon to kill someone.

9. 93Devil

I threw it out there because some posters on here have a habit of not vetting their information.

10. doctorquant

Still waiting to hear why it is that, at the founding, it wasn't legal for someone not in a militia to own a firearm.

11. 93Devil

Awesome! Dr. Q goes for his complicated words!

We have reached this point of the thread.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You're each in education. Don't give up now, D.

Draft saved Draft deleted