1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What you don't seem to get is that Tesla is not trying to compete in a niche market; it is trying to reinvent automotive transportation and has far loftier longterm goals. People are genuinely inspired by the machines the company is producing.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Too bad they can't afford them.

3. cranberry

That's pretty stupid. Do you think 2015 is Tesla's make-or-break year?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Fun story on why Tesla is so popular in Norway:

Until recently, tiny Norway (population 5 million) has been the second largest market for Teslas (after the U.S.). Earlier this year, Tesla’s Model S became the best-selling car in the country ever for a one-month period. Not bad for a luxury electric vehicle whose base price in Norway is over $100,000. What’s behind this Tesla boom?

That’s the question we try to answer in this episode of Freakonomics Radio. It’s called “How Can Tiny Norway Afford to Buy So Many Teslas?” (You can download/subscribe at iTunes, get the RSS feed, or listen via the media player above. You can also read the transcript; it includes credits for the music you’ll hear in the episode.)

It turns out that Teslas, along with other electric vehicles, are massively subsidized by the Norwegian government. Tesla’s website advertises the generous incentives available to Norwegian buyers, including exemptions from very hefty sales taxes.

http://freakonomics.com/2014/10/16/...many-teslas-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're the one telling me people are inspired by their cars (they are great cars, BTW). But to reinvent automotive transportation and reach those lofty goals, they must be able to make those inspiring cars affordable to the mass market They haven't shown they can do that yet. When they do, call me and I'll see about jumping on board the reinvention bandwagon.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  6. cranberry

Yes, like I said, do you think 2015 is Tesla's make-or-break year?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nope, but before I start believing they've reinvented the wheel, I'd like to see it.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sheesh, da man ... You can't judge a company like Tesla on what it actually accomplishes. You have to judge it based on its intentions. Get with the program, man!

Hokie_pokie and YankeeFan like this.
  9. cranberry

Yes, because building what is pretty widely considered the best and most innovative car in the world isn't really an accomplishment unless you're profiting from it ahead of schedule.

Kind of sad and pathetic to be rooting against this type of innovation because the government supports it, by the way.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not rooting against it at all. Everything I've heard about the Model S is that it's a great car -- especially since now it can reach Ludicrous Speed.

All I'm saying is I'm not buying into the concept that Tesla has revolutionized the way America travels -- and I mean regular people, not rich guys who can buy a $100,000 car -- until I at least see some evidence the company can actually do it.

If and when it does, I'll be chanting huzzahs like everyone else, and maybe buying one, too.

But I won't be chanting until I see it. Until then, I'll be from Missouri. Show me.

Hokie_pokie and old_tony like this.
  11. doctorquant

Here we go Tesla, here we go! (clap, clap)

Happy now?

Hokie_pokie, YankeeFan and old_tony like this.
  12. doctorquant

The Tesla S ... Because if the government don't gotcha back when you're in the market for a $70K+ car, what the fuck's up with that?

Hokie_pokie, bigpern23 and old_tony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted