1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Come Kiss the Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

Dick, I think you forget how easy it is for both sides to play this game:

I've been looking for a good analogue to the willingness of Republicans to believe, or say they believe, that Obama was born abroad, and one relevant number is the share of Democrats willing to believe, as they say, that "Bush knew."

There aren't a lot of great public numbers on the partisan breakdown of adherents to that conspiracy theory, but the University of Ohio yesterday shared with us the crosstabs of a 2006 poll they did with Scripps Howard that's useful in that regard.

"How likely is it that people in the federal government either assisted in the 9/11 attacks or took no action to stop the attacks because they wanted the United States to go to war in the Middle East?" the poll asked.

A full 22.6% of Democrats said it was "very likely." Another 28.2% called it "somewhat likely."

That is: More than half of Democrats, according to a neutral survey, said they believed Bush was complicit in the 9/11 terror attacks.

More than half of Democrats believed Bush knew

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

News flash! There are idiots in both parties!

Film at 11.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wonder where Democrats got that from? Could it be from all the times that the Bush administration linked the 9/11 attacks to Iraq?

"Iraq! Saddam! Find out if there's a connection!"

And as it turned out, at one point, 70 percent of Americans
    did believe a link.

USATODAY.com - Poll: 70% believe Saddam, 9-11 link

5. YankeeFan

What does that have to do with what I posted?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you say you wonder whether X did something, thinking people are going to assume you did it.

#nuance

7. Baron Scicluna

Think about it. Why would they think the government was involved? Could it be because that certain members of the government seemed just a little too eager to use the attacks both as an excuse to attack another country and to benefit themselves politically? I mean, how often did a certain mayor repeat "9/11" in his speeches?

And no, I don't believe the government was involved. But the way certain members of the government reacted afterward sure did give the conspiracy theorists some ammunition.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  8. YankeeFan

That makes less sense than most of your posts.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Conspiracy theorists always have "ammunition" -- some tidbit they can point at and say, "See? If that happened well, obviously this happened!"

That's what makes them conspiracy theorists.

10. Baron Scicluna

It makes sense when you think beyond the surface. Why would people believe the government was involved?

11. Baron Scicluna

Except the reaction of certain members of e government went beyond a tidbit. It became actual policy.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Which has what to do with what conspiracy theorists make of it?

Because they're looney-tunes. Just like the "false-flag" Newtown crowd you love so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.