1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If any Murdoch outlet tells you it's Thursday, check the calendar. Their word isn't good enough.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Don't have the link but supposedly he posted on 4chan the might before that he was going to do this.

Said that if you go to school in the Northwest you should stay home tomorrow.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When was the last time anyone updated a Myspace account?

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

With the whole "gun free zone" thing (in this case it wasn't, but if Fox News said it was then everyone will believe it was), do we know for sure in any of these mass shootings that it was part of the shooter's thought process when it comes to picking the target or is it just a safe assumption?

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This was my school.

I am going to post my thoughts, then I am going to leave. I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree and I really don't care.

This was my school. I graduated with honors from UCC in 1997. Snyder Hall contained the Journalism lab. It was my home away from home for two years.

What happened on Oct. 1, 2015 hurts me to the core.

Umpqua is one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. I'm not a fan of Roseburg, or of Oregon. My ex-stepfather-in-law is still breathing Oregon air and that's tragic. My son lives in Roseburg with his mother. He just graduated from Roseburg High School. If he weren't autistic, he likely would be taking classes at UCC. Several of his friends are, and some of them have not been accounted for.

There are no laws that would have prevented this coward from carrying out this horrific act. No laws. None. There already are laws in place against shooting up schools and malls and theaters. These madmen didn't care about those laws and they sure as hell wouldn't care about any gun law.

This was an act of pure cowardace. Only cowards shoot innocent people. Only cowards take their own life, or do something so malicious that they know someone will do the work for them because they don't have the guts to kill themselves.

The president can run his mouth all he wants about gun control. He obviously doesn't have the brainpower to deduce the above logic regarding gunmen and gun laws. He doesn't care about the American people -- he only cares to push his agenda. The same goes for the talking heads on television who have been brainwashed into believing logic that a 3-year-old would blow holes through. But again, they don't care about the truth -- they only care about pushing an agenda that themselves don't even understand.

Those who agree with just stupid logic, I weep for you. Those who have the mental capacity to stop and think, to really analyze an issue before deciding on it, I applaud you.

The bottom line is this: There is an attack on our rights and freedoms in this country, and it is perpetrated by the very people who govern over us. And until sound reason replaces political agendas, and until school administrators are taught how to shoot a weapon and are armed, there will continue to be more heinous acts of terror within our borders.

And that is a crying shame.

Vombatus and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Copycat.

"In a blog linked to that identity, Harper-Mercer expressed admiration for Roanoke shooter Vester Flanagan.

People "like him have nothing left to live for," Harper-Mercer wrote on August 31. "On an interesting note, I have noticed that so many people like him are all alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are. ... A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems the more people you kill, the more you're in the limelight. "

Umpqua Gunman Chris Harper-Mercer Hated Religion Online

"An online dating profile, linked to Harper-Mercer's e-mail address and featuring another photo of him, says the 26-year-old was living with his parents and searching for the "yin to my yang." It identifies his views as "conservative, republican," and lists "organized religion" as one of his "dislikes."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Miraculously, people follow said laws in EVERY OTHER FUCKING COUNTRY.

I'm at peace with the trade off. I just want people to stop pretending there's not a trade off.

schiezainc and Smallpotatoes like this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bullshit meter howling at 120 dB.

9. YankeeFan

...the 26-year-old was living with his parents...

Sounds like a real success.

10. YankeeFan

We know that other countries, in response to one mass shooting, have been able to craft laws that almost eliminate mass shootings. Friends of ours, allies of ours -- Great Britain, Australia, countries like ours. So we know there are ways to prevent it.

Huh. How did Australia "craft" its laws to almost eliminate mass shootings?

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Still want to puff your chest out and frame this as a war against Christians now that it's been revealed the shooter is a member of your party and NOT a Muslim or have you already ducked out of this conversation because it doesn't fit your talking points?

BDC99 likes this.
  12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted