1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever interviewed a mass shooter and asked if the gun-free zone law figured into their choice of targets?
    By definition, these people are not rational so I doubt they'd be thinking that rationally about this.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. There most often seems to be some tie to the target. And your point is spot on.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that I credit the law for changing the culture. I credit MADD for getting up in people's faces and making a big damn stink and forcing people to think through both their position and their actions. They brought social pressure to bear that said that getting wasted and then getting in your car simply was not acceptable.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Not sure that would be as effective with your average mass murderer.

old_tony likes this.
  5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Onion is killing it like a gun nut with a grudge

Man Can’t Believe Obama Would Use Tragedy To Push Anti-Tragedy Agenda

SEDALIA, MO—Following yesterday’s speech by the president addressing the recent events in Roseburg, OR, local 42-year-old Tim Moss expressed his outrage to reporters that President Obama was attempting to capitalize off a tragedy to push his anti-tragedy agenda. “It’s just disgusting and shameful that, once again, the first thing out of Obama’s mouth after a tragedy is that he wants to limit tragedies,” said Moss, adding that it is both insensitive and opportunistic of the president to suddenly shift the conversation toward curbing the number of tragedies as the nation mourns in the wake of this tragedy. “Every single time this happens, he makes the tragedy all about clamping down on tragedies, and it’s simply not the time or the place for him to be going in front of the camera and pushing for steps to decrease the number of tragedies. Christ, this is a national tragedy we’re dealing with right now.” Moss added that he hopes Obama conducts himself more appropriately during the next tragedy.

Ace, Stoney and LongTimeListener like this.
  6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The GOP wants to stop voters from cheating regardless of race. That you apparently think only minority voters are cheaters is incredibly racist.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

On the other hand ...

At a White House briefing, President Obama responded to Bush’s comments, telling a reporter the American public can decide for themselves whether they think the endless cycle of mass shootings is “stuff happening.”

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What is the current "culture" of mass shooters?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't agree with his position at all but it was reasoned and aside from the unfortunate choice of words, well thought out.

So, yeah, it just shows that Bush is the right candidate for the GOP but in the wrong primary season at the wrong time. Soft words of reason will win you the general but not the Republican nomination. And just from his body language in that one particular clip (to take more stuff out of context, I guess,) it looks like he knows this. He's hunched over, frowning, and in no way does he radiate the aura of a guy poised to take over when and/or if Trump takes a dive.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And there's a lot of voter fraud going on, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted