1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Blah, blah, blah, #hashtag, #hashtag, nuance joke, bleahhhh ...

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah ... Thought so.

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  3. Riptide

Might be worth it just to watch all the gun freaks in Texas go apeshit.

4. doctorquant

Yeah ... Something tells me it ain't gonna happen. And I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna be because the gun freaks object.

5. Riptide

Oh, of course it would. But keep banging that drum.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sorry. A Facebook friend posted a link to an Allen b west rabbit hole and I couldn't avoid the gravity well and got sucked right in.

1) I'm for some abortion restrictions. My preference would for them to be safe but rare.
    2) I think a woman also has an absolute right to choose.
    3) anti abortion activists sound like monsters when they tell rape victims they have to carry that baby to term.
    4) I'm also for some gun sales restrictions. Mostly closing loopholes and requiring registration.
    5) no one is ever going to come to a common ground because a) it is a litmus test for the culture warriors b) it has been politicized c) it is a guaranteed fundraising win to be entrenched on one side or the other.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That idea works for me.

8. doctorquant

No prob. JF, but I'd be remiss if I didn't note that your points 1 and 2 are irreconcilable.

9. doctorquant

Me too.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If there's nothing wrong with abortion, why should it be rare?

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  11. doctorquant

It puts money in people's pockets! Do away with it and we'd have a recession!

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know. That's the rub.

As for rarity. If only some organization existed that could help with contraception services. Some organization that would help eliminate unwanted pregnancies not through abortion but by teaching and providing methods of birth control that would also help eliminate certain medical issues like STDs. Some organization that would make parenthood planned. That would be genius and surely beneficial to the greater good but, alas, that group just isn't out there.

Maybe someone with a big brain could get cracking on that because if that organization did exist then by helping prevent unwanted pregnancies, it would lower the number of abortions performed in the U.S.

Right?. If a group was funded and helped with women's health issues and contraception, then that would actually lower the abortion rate.

Tis a wonder some super smart republican hasn't picked up on this. Maybe that Chaffetz cat out in Utah. You know the guy. Looks like a sexy beaver.

BDC99 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted