1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not sure I see your point?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What training and testing should be required to practice journalism?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Car ownership is not quite as "regulated" as the chart would suggest.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What do you think of laws criminalizing gun possession by convicted felons?

6. YankeeFan

Well, "Rubbers" wasn't a founder of Planned Parenthood, and I would suspect his views on race, like a lot of people his age, have changed pretty dramatically over the years.

7. YankeeFan

What does that have to do with it?

More conditional than the right to abortion or free speech? Where has that been determined?

8. YankeeFan

Convicted felons currently lose their right to vote, so I don't see an issue with it.

Of course, the left wants to change that.

I'd expand it! Convicted felons should lose their right to abortion and free speech too!

9. Dick Whitman

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It reads to me like any restriction on carrying could be a Constitutional violation. Otherwise, "and bear Arms" would be superfluous. Has anyone challenged, for example, restrictions on bringing guns into courthouses and public schools? It would be an interesting case.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

I don't care about "the left" right now. Don't steer the question.

Is the restriction on felons possessing guns unconstitutional? I feel that it might be. It probably is.

12. YankeeFan

I don't necessarily disagree.

In fact, unlike some other rights, the Constitution is clear that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed, period. It doesn't specify just Congress. Which means States and Cities can't do it either.

But, I'm looking for consistency.

If you're going to argue in favor of interpreting the 2nd Amendment in a particular way, you should also be open to interpreting other rights the same way.

I don't see a lot of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted