1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You're FB friends with Baron?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Well, it's literally impossible to have title and tags at the point of sale for free speech. So, um, yeah, you're not making any sense when you suggest I should substitute free speech for gun ownership in that chart.

What are you talking about? I said it's conditional. It is.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If it is, then it's probably also unconstitutional for them to lose their right to vote.

I guess the better question is whether there are ever any circumstances where a citizen can be stripped of their Constitutional Rights.

4. Mr. Sunshine

After liberals watch the news?

old_tony likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

Sure, not every issue on that list applies.

But, what about training and testing?

Should any testing or training be required by the government before one can have an abortion or practice journalism?

Would it be unreasonable to impose such testing and/or training?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Your analogies are moving into Baron territory.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Patriot Act stripped citizens of their Fourth Amendment rights. One could also argue it violates the First Amendment.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Probably need to revisit that, especially since terrorism is no longer an issue.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are time and place restrictions on speech, though. You don't have a right to march behind the President during the State of the Union address with a sign that says, "Obama is a n#*#*# monkey. Fuck him." That seems reasonably analogous to some of the restrictions that Perm posits on gun ownership. I know you don't agree, because you only think it would be analogous if the same restrictions were placed on speech, i.e. licensing of journalists, etc. But they are different rights, with different reasonable restrictions because they have different natures.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

Sure. I get that.

And there are currently restrictions to buying guns.

How about journalism specifically? Would it be reasonable for the government to require training and testing before one could practice journalism?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Easy there, hoss. If it's so cut and dry, why are you paraphrasing? Where's the militia part?

murphyc likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted