1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread seems to be going great. Really glad I checked in.

Vombatus and YankeeFan like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also, we don't permit people to drive, say, race cars on the roads. People seem most concerned about stopping these rampage killings of innocents, and those are committed with guns that are killing machines. I know you like to call us all on not caring about inner-city violence. But those killings are simply more difficult to legislate out of existence within the confines of the Second Amendment. I don't think most people are particularly concerned with the kind of handguns used in gangland murders. It seems pretty reasonable to own one.

3. Dick Whitman

It's amazing how many of these killings seem to have sexual frustration at their root. They all see themselves as the real victims.

And they certainly take their cue from the celebrity treatment other shooters get. They are having their frustrations validated, and they are coming upon what seems to be a solution.

It's well past time for the media to stop naming them and stop publicizing their rambling nonsense.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Stoney likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would say yes, if cars had no other purpose beyond hitting and killing other people.

Wait a minute . . . they do! How about that! They actually serve a vital purpose that has nothing to do with maiming and killing people.

5. Dick Whitman

People like to shoot guns for sport, though. I don't know that that's a "vital purpose" akin to cars. I certainly would say it's a purpose on par with alcohol, though, which leaves quite an annual body count in its wake, as well.

6. BTExpress

How does that saying go? Something like "It ain't a sport if only half the participants know they're playing."

It's never called a sport when the unleashed pit bull mauls the 7-year-old girl.

7. Dick Whitman

People shoot at targets. It's a legitimate hobby, enjoyed by millions.

8. BTExpress

Fine by me. Just make it so all guns are owned by the facility, none by the populace. Enjoy your hobby to your hearts' content.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is kind of a bullshit tangent, no? Nobody is saying everyone has to give up their guns. What they are saying is that we need common sense gun control laws that better regulate certain types of guns, the number of guns one owns, the amount and type of ammunition individuals may have, the process by which the guns are purchased.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you look at the tweet that was quoted in his post?

It envisions a world without guns.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You'd think at some point they'd just go buy a hooker and get on with their lives.

12. Dick Whitman

They don't want that. They want someone to actually return love. Having to pay for it would probably make them feel even worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted