1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Re:murder, I also feel like crimes with long sentences likely have low recidivism rates, simply because you age out of your prim crime-committing years.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A) I can't say it for a fact, but I think it's a reasonable inference that some percentage of people who care about gun ownership would not willingly put themselves in a position in which they would have to surrender up said ownership.

2) The unintended consequence isn't that they would become rampage killers. The unintended consequence is that mentally ill people would not receive the treatment they need, thereby decreasing their qualify of life.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Good point.

4. Dick Whitman

I have a client that we are very close to getting out of a life sentence. His prison rap sheet for an earlier sentence is a page long. His rap sheet during this sentence, 10 years and counting, has one mark - "talking back," eight years ago. He's 57.

I can't say there's a direct correlation between behavior inside and behavior outside, but I'd say that is some evidence there that he's a different person than the guy who served the earlier sentence and committed the crime that earned him a life sentence.

5. amraeder

BJS recidivism rates table:
    upload_2015-10-6_13-47-8.png

FWIW, I think this table shows a re-arrest for anything, not necessarily for the same crime. (Ex. a murder arrested later for assult shows up in the murder column here).

A different table of what crime they were re-arrested for:
    upload_2015-10-6_13-51-42.png

This one sort of crosswalks the two previous charts together, but frustratingly doesn't break down violent into subgroups:
    upload_2015-10-6_13-53-43.png

6. amraeder

Once you're 40+ you're less likely to be re-arrested than all other age groups.
    upload_2015-10-6_13-56-11.png

PS, hope these copy/pasted tables are showing up for you guys.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They do, thanks.

8. Dick Whitman

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He separated twins co-joined at the head.

You don't think he could separate a lone nut from his arsenal of weapons?

10. amraeder

As long as he had the help of anesthesia again!

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Were the twins sprayin bullets from an AR?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ben is a terrific guy, but he has low energy.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted