1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You've said you don't own a gun. I don't know that you've ever handled one or fired one.

Why so dedicated, then, to the cause?

Simply a Second Amendment thing?

A reflex against liberals?

Why?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He looked white on CNN.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

I don't think anyone is arguing that NRA members are committing murders, so that's a complete straw man. I think most would agree that NRA members are likely the responsible, law-abiding citizens we all speak about.

NRA members, however, are enabling murders.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But Americans aren't walking around armed. They just aren't except in small numbers.

Gun rights advocates aren't arguing that they are currently stopping mass shootings, so I'm not sure why people are trying to refute and argument that isn't being made.

They are saying that if more people did carry, and could carry on places like college campuses, that mass killings would be reduced, and/or stopped more quickly.

Now, argue that if you wish, but saying that it isn't currently happening does not win that argument.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Tyranny of the seen," etc., etc.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's unlikely that the government is going to attempt to quarter troops in my home either, I wouldn't like to see an attempt to weaken this amendment either.

If we surrender one right -- Hi MC! -- we're in danger of losing them all.

Plus, people should be allowed to own and carry guns. They have every right to be able to defend themselves if they feel the need to.

Some people don't like guns. Who gives a shit? We have a constitution.

If we let people outlaw what they don't like, wrightthinking will be along shortly to confiscate your whiskey collection.

7. Dick Whitman

Eh, every right has some restrictions or exceptions, and, as I've said, some of them are dependent on the nature of the right. I think it is pretty well understood that background checks and gun registration wouldn't be seen as a Second Amendment violation, so now you're just making either an academic argument or a policy argument, not a practical Constitutional argument.

I'm very curious about whether you and others here - and whether the NRA - support bans on bringing guns into court rooms?

And, to reiterate, I'm largely a Second Amendment supporter. I don't think, for instance, that the way it is written indicates that the right to ownership is restricted to militia members.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you allow gay marriage, what's next, people marrying their pets?

9. Riptide

"Well-regulated militia" does not equal "poorly regulated populace."

murphyc and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

The Amendment is not written in such a way that the right is restricted to the purpose of a well-regulated militia. You can say it over and over again, but it doesn't make it true.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Hey, I was just pointing out that this has already happened. You've already surrendered your Fourth Amendment rights. Which ones are next?

12. Riptide

Didn't say it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted