1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

but, but the constitution. What the hell could change in 240 years?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Which of the provisions HC mentioned would run afoul of the 2nd amendment?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you have to present your high school report card?

What assurances of your mental stability did you provide beyond "take my word for it"?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hope nobody dies from the right to vote.

BDC99 likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

Boy, I can just imagine the reply Baron would come up with if I wrote that...

HC likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems like you are arguing from what you think the Second Amendment should be, rather than what the Second Amendment is, which is a right that functions with strings attached, like others.

You yourself granted a "self defense" justification onto it when your instinct told you that guns shouldn't be in court rooms. (Though I think you eventually agreed that they should not be restricted from court rooms.)

7. YankeeFan

This is going to change everything; People Magazine has joined the fray!

VIDEO: PEOPLE’s Call to Action on Gun Violence – Here’s How to Contact All 535 Members of Congress

And, they've taken the extraordinary step of... listing the contact information of every member of the Senate and Congress.

LOL. They think their audience is too dumb to figure this out on their own, and they're probably right.

But, the contact info is just a list. Without a lookup, based on the reader's address, what are the odds they'll be able to identify their own Congressman?

8. YankeeFan

Dick, if I'm not allowed to bring a gun into a Court Room, I've not been prevented from buying or possessing a gun.

Now, I don't think that every public place, and place of business should just be able to declare themselves to be a "gun free zone". Without some measure to enforce this, it's meaningless.

But, can there be certain restrictions on time and place, sure. And, in these instances, like in a courthouse, they take steps to ensure that no one is armed. Even the criminals have to follow the rules!

9. Dick Whitman

What about a Major League Baseball stadium, where you are now metal detected before entering? Is that your reasonable restriction: Gun-free zones must have metal detectors upon entering?

10. Dick Whitman

For the record, I don't have an angle, really, and I'm not a liberal zealot looking to take away people's guns, although I've never seen a gun.

I'm just a news and law junkie fascinated by how we can reduce gun violence within the confines of the Second Amendment.

11. YankeeFan

I think it would be a reasonable expectation of a "gun free zone" that they take measures to ensure it truly is, beyond putting up a sign.

But, I'm not sure why an MLB or NFL stadium needs to be a gun free zone.

12. Dick Whitman

A Man Was Once Shot at an MLB Game and Play Went On

Draft saved Draft deleted