1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sorry, I do.

If I own a restaurant, or a bar, or a store, or a putt-putt place, or whatever ... I get to say whether you get to bring a gun onto my property.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There seems to be a real recognition of that this time around that hasn't been present before. Nonetheless, most of my journalism friends think that it's imperative to name the shooter and discuss what makes him tick. Someone also raised the point that it is necessary to refute conspiracy theories.

As you are aware, I think that the coverage needs to be considerably more subdued, moving forward, and the shooter's name should probably never appear in a respectable publication.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

For fans, or players? I think one of those ships has already sailed...

LongTimeListener likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I understand how this contributes to the problem, but I don't see how this is feasible. It's the biggest news story of the day or week, and you're just going to write "unidentified guy shoots nine" and the world is going to be OK with that?

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This should still be a 15-yard penalty, however.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's different because meaningful gun control is, at this point, a pipe dream. Not reality.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah. Let's arm 75,000 drunk meatheads in a confined space.

What could go wrong?

I was at a concert once that devolved into a riot. That was probably the most scared I've ever been. I can only imagine who much better it would've gone if all of us had guns, too.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We just need some common sense regulations on how the media does its job.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

LOS ANGELES (AP) --- A 35-year-old hippie and four of his followers --- three female --- go on trial tomorrow in Superior Court for the grisly Tate and LaBianca murders nine months ago.

The hippie, who calls himself Jesus Christ, and his followers, who go by the names Tex, Sadie, LuLu and Katie . . . .

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Patrick Kane accused of raping unidentified woman."

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Really?

That's pretty broad and every right isn't absolute. All of them have some restrictions.

Draft saved Draft deleted