1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not all-or-nothing. It seems reasonable, and there is apparently evidence pointing this way, that the copycats are finding kinship with the shooters who become instant celebrities. These guys aren't all coming up with this themselves. They even frequently name check each other in their manifestos.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Then the solution is to report on it properly, without the sensationalizing. Not to omit facts of public interest.

SnarkShark likes this.
  3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

MC what's your stance on reporting bomb threats?

I'm just curious as it has been an issue at my shop.

In brief, local high school gets a bomb threat, paper reports on it. Bomb threat happens again, paper reports on it.

School district loses its shit, saying that the reporting was driving the increase in bomb threats.

I think that they had something of a valid point but, at the same time, tough shit. You could also say the disruption caused at the school was as much a reason for a copycat as news coverage.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The concept that blacking out the names of murderers would be more effective than reducing the amount of firearms in circulation and ease of access when it comes to violence prevention is the stupidest fucking thing I've read since breakfast.

5. Dick Whitman

That is stupid!

Who wrote that?!

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Is there a risk of anyone being physically harmed by voting? Outside of the slight possibility of a self-inflicted paper cut?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Read my above post.

8. dixiehack

It's a concept, not a direct quote. But many of the same people quick to dismiss the latter are talking up the former as though it were a serious cure.

9. dixiehack

Punchcard stylus could put an eye out.

10. Dick Whitman

Glad to see you're walking it back.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can ignore it. Evacuating a school affects a lot of people, and could turn into a pretty big commitment of public time and money to respond to it.

More effective and aggressive prosecution of people who do this is the answer. Not ignoring it.

That being said, I can't remember naming anyone who called in a bomb threat as part of breaking news reporting. Later, when they're found and charged? Absolutely.

12. dixiehack

When you synthesize thoughts from what you read, do you not consider that part of your "reading"?

Draft saved Draft deleted