1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can't stop and frisk white people. They are allowed to carry guns.

BDC99 likes this.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess from what I've heard, this is a popular video among gun rights people. Supposedly it's brilliant.
    I see a guy who is unfit to be a police officer.
    1). Police officers are supposed to know the law. The Safe Act has nothing to do with gun confiscation. It's not taking away anyone's rights.
    2). If he thinks his rights are more important than the lives of others, he's a selfish piece of shit. What he did in Iraq is irrelevant.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, bullshit. Call it whatever you want. Go to a local gun show, and if you have cash money you can walk out with a gun, few questions asked and no background check required.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have a similar stance on allowing or not allowing smoking.

5. Smallpotatoes

If I own a gas station or a chemical plant, I'm not going to allow smoking. I don't want the last words I hear before dying to be "Goddamnit I can smoke wherever I want!"

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I know, right? I fell for the idea that Dylann Roof should not have been able to purchase a gun, but somehow he did. Shitty law, shitty enforcement, shitty databases, shitty loopholes. Makes no difference to me what you want to call it.

7. old_tony

Being a victim of violent crime also has a bias toward minorities.

8. old_tony

Why is it OK to violate the Second but not the Fourth?

9. old_tony

And I fully support your right to make the rules on your property -- which is exactly what I was saying, since you apparently missed that.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You may not have knowingly picked up the term from Hillary Clinton's talking points, but you did.

The "background check loophole" was not something that previously existed, or was considered a loophole.

The term is so new, that CNN has to explain what she meant:

Clinton would also push Congress to close a background check loophole that allows a gun sale to proceed without a background check being fully completed.

The loophole -- called the Charleston Loophole -- refers to the June shooting that killed nine worshippers at a church in Charleston, South Carolina, where the assailant legally purchased a gun despite a previous drug offense. Rep. James Clyburn, a Democrat from South Carolina, has proposed a bill in Congress to close the loophole, too.

Hillary Clinton pledges to close the gun show loophole - CNNPolitics.com

The Times too:

Mrs. Clinton will suggest urging Congress to end another loophole, by which people with felony records who should be barred from obtaining a gun can get one if their background check is not completed within three days. That loophole was how Dylann Roof, the accused killer in Charleston, obtained his weapon despite a felony conviction for a drug arrest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/u...has-a-plan-for-possible-executive-action.html

If you you can find a news reference to this "loophole" prior to Charleston, I'll eat my hat.

Calling it a loophole is part of a campaign, a political campaign.

You didn't just decide on your own to call this a loophole. The campaign was successful, and you picked up the term.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Regulating weapons is not violating the Second Amendment. "Well-regulated" is not a difficult concept.

12. Smallpotatoes

That was meant more as a joke than anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted