1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

In Heller, the Court held only private ownership of handguns for self-defense in the home was protected by the 2d A; and that a handgun ban and a trigger-lock requirement violated that right.

In McDonald v. Chicago, SCOTUS held the 2d A applied at the state level so, as it held in Heller, regulations that effectively banned handgun ownership in the home were found unconstitutional. It did not substantively expand the type, place or reason for gun ownership from its holding in Heller. (Chicago prohibited possession of unregistered firearms and prohibited registration of most handguns.)

SCOTUS also repeated the language from Heller that the 2d A is not a right to keep and carry any weapon, in any manner, for whatever purpose, recognizing its decision "does not imperil every law regulating firearms."

Most recently SCOTUS took no action to hear or reverse Jackson v. San Francisco, leaving in place an appellate court decision upholding San Francisco's requirement to store guns in a locked box or disabled with a trigger lock - despite a fact pattern pretty darn close to that in Heller.

There is simply no support in these cases for broad, unfettered ownership of firearms or that all laws regulations to be unconstitutional. In fact, the Court made clear, some regulations are Constitutional.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

YF thinks you're gumming up the works with your usage of "knew".

BDC99 likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, at least we're getting closer to an actual thought, as opposed to a regurgitation of talking points.

How big a problem is this? How often does it happen? How big a difference will this make to reduce gun violence?

Should all private sales be eliminated and/or require background checks, or just the few private sales that occur at gun shows?

Also, are you going to at least admit that some of your talking points -- like the 40% number -- are off, or are we just going to pretend that you didn't say it, or are we still pretending it is true?

4. YankeeFan

How does this dispute anything I have said?

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I cannot stress enough how important a valid ID is in regard to specifically selected rights I want to talk about.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nice catch.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

Barron's best line in months.

8. Mr. Sunshine

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Harder to vote than to buy a gun.

To vote, you still have to register by providing name and address to determine your precinct.

To buy a gun, you just need cash and a private seller, which can be found in the classified pages of the paper in some states.

10. Mr. Sunshine

I tend to think a valid ID should be a requirement for both.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You lecture others about misspelled words and you can't even spell my name correctly?

12. YankeeFan

There are classified ads in newspapers?

That might be the funniest thing I'll read all day.

Big Circus and BDC99 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted