1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Credit where credit is due.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I've heard you can buy a car like that, but I don't believe it because I heard it's much harder to do anything with a car than it is to purchase a gun.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. That's pretty funny.

But, I don't lecture, and freely admit that I'm a sucky speller.

I just thought that BDC needed to take a breath last night. It wasn't like him to curse so much, or misspell easy words.

I think it must have really upset him that he was unwittingly taken in by partisan talking points. He just couldn't seem to come to terms with it.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

Vox.com writer, "I'm for large-scale confiscation."

5. YankeeFan

But, they are different problems, and require different solutions.

The causes of, and thus the fixes for, "mass shootings", gang/drug violence, domestic violence, and suicide are different.

I addressed "mass shootings" because it's what people are most worked up about. 10 white people getting killed upsets liberals far more than the deaths of 100 inner city African-Americans.

But, each problem can be addressed without interfering with the Second Amendment rights of law abiding citizens.

Affective policing dramatically reduced gun violence in New York City. It will never drop it to zero, but it saved thousands of lives.

Reducing domestic violence and suicide will require other measures.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I hear what you are saying. So your main objection with stricter gun control laws or regulations is that you feel it is a slippery slope, or at least opens the door, to losing more of the rights afforded to us by the constitution. It's not that you are sitting in your basement clinging to a 30-aught-6 that you think someone is going to try and take away.

And I'm not trying to build some logic trap here. I'm on the other side of this debate as you, but I'm really trying to understand your side because, for the longest time, it has made no sense to me.

7. YankeeFan

Study:

Mental Illness is the wrong scapegoat after mass shootings

Mental Illness is the wrong scapegoat after mass shootings

Two key findings they want to highlight:

They found that despite societal pre-conceived notions, most mentally ill people are not violent.

Fewer than 5 percent of the 120,000 gun-related killings in the United States between 2001 and 2010 were perpetrated by people diagnosed with mental illness.

Question: who said that most mentally ill people are violent, or that they perpetrated some large percentage of gun-related killings?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's the Manningfication of America.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Didn't you say something similar? At least in regards to mass shootings?

10. YankeeFan

Mental illness is a big factor in mass shootings.

The study, or at least the people writing about the study, try to refute this, but they do it by looking at all shootings, not just mass shootings.

No one has said that mental illness plays a big factor in all shootings, or that all mentally ill people are dangerous.

The headline is a complete non sequitur.

11. YankeeFan

The PBS NewsHour thinks this study is big news:

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So? A large-scale buyback program wouldn't necessarily violate the 2nd amendment, either. And he's right that lax guns laws correlate strongly with gun deaths. Thanks for posting that.

Draft saved Draft deleted