1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Great, The Todd is running for president.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ben was a heck of a foosball player.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I really think the intelligence scale is a circle with genius and idiot right next to each other.

Donny in his element and Stoney like this.
  4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know you likely meant this as a joke, but I was wondering the same thing. Read books or watch documentaries on genius/savant syndrome and that's the perplexing thing that always jumps out, how people who are astoundingly brilliant in one area can be so painfully clueless in others (usually socially). There appears to be a surprisingly fine line between genius and stupid, depending upon what part of the brain is being put to work at a specific time. I just wonder if maybe that helps explain how the same guy who's reportedly a brilliant neurosurgeon can keep saying these buffoonish things about the rest of the world.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Half joking, I guess. I've known plenty of people who could learn everything in any book you wanted to give them but had no common sense or had no critical thinking or problem solving skills when they had to come up with something on the fly.

Or, like you said, no social skills.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hey, I agree with YF! Carson says a lot of stupid things, and this is tone deaf certainly, but it isn't worthy of outrage. The point he was making is valid. It's why the Second Amendment exists. Would we all be able to protect ourselves if the government turned on us? Of course not. But I'd sure as hell like to have a shot. WOLVERINES! :) As YF said, an armed populace is harder to slaughter.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I would think a guy like Carson would be sued more than virtually any other doctor simply because his fame would make him a target.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, out of curiosity, has he still been performing any surgery since running for president and becoming famous? I thought he quit. As a general rule, your risk of legal liability for an activity tends to diminish if you're ...you know ...not doing it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Isn't he a retired surgeon?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep, retired. Didn't quit.
    If he gets elected, he'll be the second with a Johns Hopkins University background. Woodrow Wilson was the first.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You know he's been a famous surgeon for a long time, right?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can anyone here list five current surgeons without getting on google?

Can you?

I guess if you can't, then surgeons are not that famous. Successful, yes. Famous, no.

And there are very smart people who can be batshit crazy later in life - Howard Hughes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.