1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I haven't found that to be true. Perhaps being in a newsroom keeps me more plugged in.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Plus, once your kids reach a certain age, you might think you're plugged in, but time and again they're gonna prove you wrong.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

I wish I didn't so easily acquire such useless knowledge. It's a curse to know so much that means so little.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It doesn't really amaze me. I remember a poll being done years ago when a very high percentage couldn't even name the Vice President of the United States.

5. Mr. Sunshine

There's a difference (sometimes) between obliviousness and stupidity.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It doesn't take that much effort at all.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or just being from another culture. You could line up Tiger Woods, LeBron James and Aaron Rodgers (in full uniform) in front of my wife and she would know none of them. Sports-wise, she could recognize maybe two dozen tennis players and Peyton Manning, of course.

Yet she loves Pat Boone (seriously), learned English because of the Beatles and has read everything Mark Twain ever wrote. She knows the works of classical composers I've never even heard of. She despises Victoria Nuland, Hillary Clinton and John McCain.

Neither of us could name a rap song produced in the past 10 years.

We're all in our own bubbles.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Sustained ignorance requires some work.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

At my age, the work is already done. Experience tells me I want nothing to do with, say, ESPN. So I cancel the channel. Done and done.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's so much to know now, though. I think way more people have checked out in 2015 than had in, say, 1985. Or even 1995. Right now, the following shows get air play in our house: Sports. "Tom and Jerry." "Garfield." "Sophia the First."

That's it.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I missed the MTV era in its entirety after I had kids. Well, except for ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man, of course.

Dyno likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Another pop culture phenomenon that I have no clue about are video games. There are several titles, I have no doubt, that our cultural touchtones of our time. And I've never heard of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.