1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We're remodeling our house and for a variety of reasons we've been without a kitchen since May, so we're becoming all too familiar with the restaurants in the area.

We haven't stooped to eating at McDonald's yet, but my wife and son sometimes want breakfast for dinner and, for them, that means a visit to IHOP.

When we have our kitchen back, I hope to never visit IHOP again (unless it's on fire and the desk needs someone to take some photos).

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I've eaten at CFA three or four times and every time wound up with gastrointestinal distress. The food's tasty, but I won't be going back.

I also don't eat at any fast food restaurants anymore because, pretty much across the board, it all sucks.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've probably been to two dozen Chick-Fil-A locations in the past three years, and while I wasn't building a spreadsheet or anything, I didn't notice an overwhelming white presence behind the counter in any but a couple of them, and those were in areas that had an overwhelming white presence in everything. There may well be more white employees there than, say, Hardee's or Burger King, but not enough to make you think you were in Southern Baptist Vermont or something.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I mean, really, who notices what the people behind the counter at a fast food place look like? I couldn't pick a one of them out of a lineup five minutes after I left, much less tell you what the staff's racial makeup is (especially since there are usually people in the back you can't see).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Ya'll are making me really wish we had any Chick-Fil-As around here.
    Seven or eight years ago I was at a Burger King drive-thru after covering a football game, probably about 10:30 or so. Lights were on, several vehicles in line. So I get in line and am told to wait a minute. Second person comes on and announces they're closed. At 10:30 p.m. on a Friday? I worked two summers at a BK in the late 1990s and we were open until 1 a.m. on the weekends. I've only visited a BK twice since then. Food was OK, but didn't make me want to rush back. In terms of fast food, I prefer Arby's, Sonic and DQ (though not my local DQ since they are run by idiots). I miss Culver's from my time in Iowa.
    At least around here, McD's has changed the corporate look and gotten rid of the play areas. Don't know if that's a regional or national trend, but to me that's stupid to get rid of one of your main draws. Plus the big menu, which would only be worse now with the limited breakfast all day.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

McDs got rid of the play areas in my community, too. I think it was a liability thing.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmm. Perhaps a 4 p.m. visit tomorrow will work out for me then.

Dyno likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good luck. But watch out for those nasty white Christians. I hear they'll cut in front of you as soon as look at you.

SpeedTchr and doctorquant like this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got something for them - don't mess with the old, bald Jew.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Go get 'em, Shlomo!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Very observant Amy.

I was wondering if anyone was going to notice the lede I buried in there.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Congratulations, YF!

Draft saved Draft deleted