1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Chicken wings and chicken tenders are probably worse for you than burgers, and those places are popping up like mushrooms.

I will go on the record as an SJ.com contrarian and say that chicken wings are not food and chicken tenders are at best kid's food. (I wouldn't feed chicken McNuggets to my dog, though).

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I haven't eaten non-breakfast food at McDonald's for well over a decade. I confess to liking the sausage biscuits and hash browns, even though you finish with hands so greasy it's like you just did an oil change. But there are so many more relatively cheap and definitely tastier options than in the chain's heyday it's not surprising it's on the decline.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I take it there is no Bon Chon near you? You'd be wise to seek one out. It changes your whole view of chicken, both of the wing and tender persuasions.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You've intrigued me with your tender persuasions.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Maybe we should consider making the Egg McMuffin out of eggs, ham, cheese and a muffin. Like the old days.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The interesting things from the McD's earnings that stuck out to me. ... The did relatively well in some of the international markets, although they were working with poor comparables from last year.

The picture still doesn't look that great to me. They got killed by the dollar -- overall revenues were down 5 percent (would have been up 7 percent in constant currencies); overall income was down 2 percent (would have been up 10 percent in constant currencies). Also, some of the stories are obviously focused on the increased same store sales in the U.S. (missing the real picture, in my opinion). ... but their U.S. operating profits actually declined by 1 percent for the quarter. The culprit was the increase in wages and benefits they started paying in the company-owned stores. Same story as Wal-Mart a few weeks ago.

The big thing someone not invested for a quick hit should be focused on -- i.e. -- you want to invest in McD's for the long-term -- is that huge increase in earnings didn't relate to McDonald's actual business -- which was the point of this thread. This is all just financial engineering, not a turnaround in McD's business. 1) They had really beneficial comparisons from last year because they had an increase in tax reserves due to some foreign tax matters. That weighed down earnings and made things look better than they would have this year. 2) More importantly, They resorted to the same strategy being employed by all kinds of dogshit companies that aren't fixing their businesses. ... to keep shareholders happy -- $3.1 billion to shareholders during the quarter through stock buybacks that increase the earnings per share and dividends.

That playbook only lasts as long as the Federal Reserve can keep interest rates manipulated down at zero -- making it so companies can borrow cheaply and manipulate their stocks higher with buybacks. It is largely what has driven the stock market the last 2, 3 years. When that ends in a crash and thud (likely when they lose control, not when they step back), McD's is sitting on a lot of debt that will be hard to service (at market rates) PLUS a business that is slowly shrinking. It is what a lot of companies are going to be facing, though.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Canadian bacon

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wondered who was going to be anal about that!

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Back bacon. ;)

Iron_chet likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

ralph wiggum eats paste - Google Search

Draft saved Draft deleted