1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

I wonder if Dicky has ever fallen asleep while posting.

Signs point to yes.

SpeedTchr and Ace like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, Ben says the stabbing attempt did happen.

He says he talked to the person involved yesterday -- a close relative -- who does not want to be identified.

He also says he changed the names of people in the book, which is not mentioned in the book.

Morning Mika is incredibly upset that he "made up names" in the book!

I find this all hysterical. How many of the people in President Obama's book, people who were described as critical in his development were even sought out, let alone identified?

Of course, many never were, because they not only had their names changed, but were in fact "composite characters" and the time and place of their interaction with the President were often changed as well.

We didn't learn this until he had already been President for years.

I'm all for vetting Presidential candidates, but let's be consistent, and let's have the press hold each other to some standards.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sigh.

I'm fairly certain that the media sought out every single person Obama claimed to stab in the belly in his book.

Stoney likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I blew a .14 the other night. The cop laughed and said, "Holy shit, this thing must be broken!"

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what your point is. Would you like to expand on it? I'd love to hear it.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Meh.

Aren't all West Point appointments tuition-free?

He was told that he would likely be admitted there. It was 40 years ago. This is not a big deal.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The issue isn't quibbling over what "full scholarship" means. He's trying to tell readers he was accepted to West Point, and all he had to do was accept a scholarship offer and he could go. Read the passage from the books mentioned.

10. Dick Whitman

I read the Politico story. Where's the beef? He said he met with the general at a Memorial Day parade. It was actually most likely at an earlier awards dinner. Much ado about nothing.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes. There's also a small salary included.

People gussy up stories like this all the time. Over time, the gussied-up story becomes the reality.

One of my close friends has a granddaughter who went out-of-state to an SEC school. Because she did fairly well (nothing crazy, something like the 80th percentile) on the SAT and had OK grades in high school, she got a one-year scholarship that covers the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. The difference is in the ballpark of $10,000.

Now, so long as she maintains some fairly stout minimum GPA (I think it's a 3.25), the scholarship rolls over.

So, how does my friend describe his granddaughter's scholarship? "They gave her $40,000 to get her to go there!"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  12. Dick Whitman

I wonder if he dodged bullets in Serbia.

old_tony, SpeedTchr and doctorquant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.