1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The headlines about this are less accurate than Carson's original sentence.

2. Dick Whitman

I don't think he would have thought that it didn't check out. A five-star general told him he would get into West Point if he applied.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, he wrote a book and put this in it.

Other than Westmoreland not being somewhere where and when he said he was, apart from him never even applying to West Point, apart from his statement that he was offered a FULL SCHOLARSHIP (no one pays tuition at West Point), I guess everything checked out.

4. Dick Whitman

Westmoreland was there a few weeks earlier and met with Carson. Easy mistake to make.

He never said he applied to West Point.

You're right. Every appointment is tuition-free. And, hence, a "full scholarship." Just like Carson said.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess if you dumb it down enough and excusify it, everything he says is 110 percent accurate.

6. Dick Whitman

I don't think this is 110 percent accurate. I think it's an understandable interpretation of events that occurred 40 years ago.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

People are more angry that the Steve Jobs movie was half made up than half of Ben Carson's story is made up.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Was it on I-95 outside Boston -- red Toyota Corolla? I saw that guy yesterday.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If all the information that can't be verified is true, it's a reasonable interpretation of how a naive and boastful 17-year-old might view the conversation. True.

Not something I'd put as fact in my book or continue to say.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Westmoreland was only a 4-star general. So it might have been an impostor.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just a bit to the south and west. And a whole lot larger vehicle.

12. Dick Whitman

I don't think he would have changed his mind about it since then. I doubt he has spent much time exploring the ins and outs of the late '60s West Point admissions process in the years hence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.