1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He has actually applied to schools and been accepted, right? He really does have a medical degree?

So I assume in the past 40 years he has a better grasp of roughly how admission to elite universitiess such as the military academies are handled.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do all of the football players offered scholarships to schools have to apply there?

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ben Carson is spectacularly full of shit, and this West Point nonsense - and to some degree, it is nonsense - is merely the byproduct of a media that hears enough of it and goes "all right, fuck it, go check on some of this." Same deal with the "Rubio is irresponsible" stuff. And the "Chris Christie is a vindictive, grudge-keeping asshole" stuff. And, once upon a time, "boy, Gary Hart is a shameless cad, isn't he?" stuff. And the "man, Bill Clinton's fooled around, huh?" stuff.

I mean, it's impossible to ignore with Carson. Impossible. So West Point it is.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You act as if a 4-star general is on the same playing field as a football coach.

5. Dick Whitman

I think that if a four-star general, recruiting for West Point, told me that I would be admitted to West Point if I applied, then I would consider that an offer of admittance. Same as if the head football coach made the same statement to me.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

A few hours ago, Ben Carson was a know-nothing out of his depth where domestic and foreign affairs are concerned.

Now, Ben Carson is a brilliant man who, through his work in the field of pediatric neurosurgery, should by now be intimately familiar with West Point's admission practices in the late 1960s.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This wasn't sprung on him, Dick. He wrote it himself.

8. Dick Whitman

Correct. And I suspect that is how he reasonably interpreted what occurred.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would consider it someone being polite.

My son's high school coach -- who was a D 1 assistant -- told me when my son was a freshman that he would get a full-ride to college.

Did I believe him? I thought it was possible but mostly thought the coach was saying what he probably thought parents wanted to hear.

Guess I am more of a realist than some.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You'd think a book editor would have checked with Carson on this. Or when writing two books, including the one that was just published, that you might want to double-check claims.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Meh, this is horseshit out of which you're not even clever enough to step.

The West Point stuff is all part of the same braggart's hyperbolic bullshit Carson constantly engages in, and my guess is the behavior is culled from years of being afforded grace by others because he's a great doctor. Carson is, by turns, the hothead, the cool, clever customer in the fast food restaurant with a quick line, the great defender on a college campus, the seasoned critic of the media...it's bullshit.

Ace likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What if he supported disarming law enforcement?

JC and SpeedTchr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.