1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do think there is a skill to lying or avoiding the question. Most football coaches can give the impression that they are not in the market for a new job and bolt in a couple days and it's cool with fans. Others make the fan base hate them. It's in the words and your history.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A: Dick's take is spot on

2: Rush Limbaugh made the exact same argument today, in almost the exact same word

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So ...

III: Dick is Rush Limbaugh?

Ace likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think I have heard anyone claim Carson says he got into West Point.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. He was offered "a full scholarship." You young cadet have a full scholarship to a school that is technically free to attend!

As quant said it is low grade puffery. But it's dumb ass puffery and revealing in a sense. Just like the line about the fast food restaurant, which is almost certainly a line of shit, is puffery. Why is this shit important? Why does he keep writing books? Why does Ben Carson seem most interested in trying to trade on middling details of his biography when his actual documented achievements are extraordinary?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did it start with N?

BDC99 likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was taking "got into" to mean he actually set foot there. Maybe reading too much into that.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The school isn't free. They pay the faculty, administrators, staff, the bills for the facilities, etc. Tuition is provided for you -- if you can get into the school. If you're told you'll get in, how is that different from a scholarship?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is no different from the criticism of Obama. The people pushing this "story" are racists. Simple as that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.