1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Did you order some Gen. Tso's to celebrate?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They weren't the only ones. Many, including the Times, appear to have written their own headlines without reading the Politico story:

And, Politico made numerous edits to the online story without making it clear that they had made any changes, until they eventually added an editor's note, many hours later.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is it ironic that in responding to my post about news outlets not reading an entire story, you don't seem to have read my entire post?

4. YankeeFan

The WSJ article posted at the end of the day was probably worse for Carson, but will likely get lost in this mess.

5. YankeeFan

LOL. Sorry. I should have made it more clear that I was agreeing with you, and pointing out that even our leading sources of journalism fell victim to Politico's headline.

6. Dick Whitman

All yesterday served to do was reinforce the idea that liberals are out to get "Dr. Carson." Even though the plant was almost certainly an inside job.

7. Dick Whitman

I think the Times was among the tamest I saw, though.

8. Dick Whitman

Also, it is remarkable on social media how quickly strangers will assume your allegiance to a candidate when you criticize media coverage. Do people actually enjoy going through life without thinking critically?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Yeah, but they should be held to a higher standard than Mother Jones.

10. YankeeFan

This is a good one from the WSJ article:

In his 1990 autobiography, “Gifted Hands,” Mr. Carson writes of a Yale psychology professor who told Mr. Carson, then a junior, and the other students in the class—identified by Mr. Carson as Perceptions 301—that their final exam papers had “inadvertently burned,” requiring all 150 students to retake it. The new exam, Mr. Carson recalled in the book, was much tougher. All the students but Mr. Carson walked out.

“The professor came toward me. With her was a photographer for the Yale Daily News who paused and snapped my picture,” Mr. Carson wrote. “ ‘A hoax,’ the teacher said. ‘We wanted to see who was the most honest student in the class.’ ” Mr. Carson wrote that the professor handed him a $10 bill.

No photo identifying Mr. Carson as a student ever ran, according to the Yale Daily News archives, and no stories from that era mention a class called Perceptions 301. Yale Librarian Claryn Spies said Friday there was no psychology course by that name or class number during any of Mr. Carson’s years at Yale.

Ben Carson’s Past Faces Deeper Questions

11. Dick Whitman

He's a pathological embellisher.

12. YankeeFan

I'm not supporting Carson. I don't think he's qualified to be President, and I think we would get swamped in a general election if he's the nominee.

I'd prefer to see him get knocked out of the primary as soon as possible, so we can move on to better qualified candidates, with a better shot at winning.

But, the Politico story was a mess. The discrediting of the article will make it easier for Carson and his supporters to dismiss other, legitimate, criticism as more of the same.

Mr. Sunshine and Dick Whitman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.