1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

He. Is. Trolling. You.

Stop feeding him.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

BENGHAZI!

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You really think this story originated with liberals?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's funny.

5. Dick Whitman

I understand he's trolling me. But I don't understand why it's a foregone conclusion on his part that it's a troll-worthy comment. It's not something stupid I said because I lacked self-awareness. It precisely reflects how I interpret her response.

6. Dick Whitman

I feel like a large part of the West Point freak-out is driven by millennials who can't believe someone could be so cavalier about the admissions process. They know the names of admissions deans. They hire application consultants. This Carson story makes no sense to them.

X-Hack likes this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Only 10 more pages before we get to soccer!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

People get killed for volunteering there, too.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The story makes no sense to anyone, regardless of generation, with an inkling of knowledge about the military academies.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really don't think this is that big of a deal. Assuming he met with Westmoreland, I can see that the impression he would get as a 17-year-old was that he was being offered a free education at West Point.

However, in the year's since, it would be nice if he was more specific and accurate with his language and description. I don't go around doing brain surgery with any old drill and hammer.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that big of a deal, either. But from the get-go the way he recounts it doesn't make much sense. Someone along the way surely should have told him - hey that's not quite how it works. And I suspect that as a brain surgeon, who was in the ROTC at the time, he has an inkling that the way he was telling it was embellished.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agreed. And it would have been easy to say that he was encouraged to apply at West Point where he was told he was a shoo-in to get in a university where all of your tuition and expenses are paid.

franticscribe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.