1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What about football players who are offered scholarships? Need they begin clarifying to Rivals.com where they are in the application process?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He figured out how to get into Yale. He knew / knows that he never applied to West Point or received admission.

3. Dick Whitman

The man believes that Jesus's stepfather built the pyramids.

4. Dick Whitman

The general in command of Vietnam told him he could get him an appointment. That's not different than Nick Saban telling you he'll get you into Alabama.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Which is far more concerning to me than his, also mistaken, belief that he got an offer of a full scholarship to West Point.

6. Dick Whitman

I am going to go back today and see how many of you wrote off every one of Jackie's absurd rape details as a product of her unreliable memory. As trivial details.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd wager that at least half to two thirds of the papers who did stories on high school seniors signing to play college football at West Point, Navy and Air Force used the term scholarships to describe what they received.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

#NeverForget

9. Dick Whitman

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No he doesn't.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) The whole "Westmoreland offered him an appointment" is made-up bullshit after the fact. When he was saying he was offered a scholarship to West Point in the book, in interviews, meeting Westmoreland was a separate thing. But now his bullshit hinges on someone who is dead, with something that likely never happened (and never got suggested until he got called on his bullshit). ...and it is getting stated like it is a fact. When he was making himself the star of his story, it wasn't, "I met Westmoreland and he said he would get me into West Point." It was, "I was such a great ROTC student that they offered me a scholarship to West Point. I got to meet Westmoreland. I went to a dinner for Congressional Medal of Honor winners." There is no way that William Westmoreland met him at a dinner once and told him he had a place waiting for him at West Point. Not in the 1960s. Not today. He may have encouraged him to get in touch. He may have encouraged him to apply. He may have offered to advance his application. But this is pure, unadulterated embellishment (i.e. bullshit) that he got called on. That happens when put yourself under the spotlight of running for president.

2) That college football scholarship thing is dumb -- the first time, and the 700th. Colleges DO offer good football players football scholarships. That has zero to do with this, of course. It might have something to do with it, if we are talking about someone who claims they were offered a football scholarship when they were younger, as part of a life story they tell over and over again to embellish their accomplishments, and then people find out that it never happened.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There was more than one Joseph in the bible, FWIW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.