1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's fair. And Hillary, as well.

As I've pointed out, the most egregious journalistic sin was the interpretation of Carson's campaign clarification as an "admission" that he "lied" or "fabricated" the story.

Journalists wonder why sources are reluctant to speak with them. Let this serve as Exhibit A.

old_tony likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

For what it's worth, I talked to Mrs. Whitman about this yesterday, and I'm considering not voting in 2016. It just makes it much easier to engage in conversations about stuff like this without having to explain away a loyalty.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You've certainly captured that talking point well.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe, alternately, you could vote but decide not to engage in conversations about this stuff.

Riptide and TheSportsPredictor like this.
  5. Dick Whitman

No. I'd rather be able to talk about current events.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do you feel like having message board conversations is a greater civic calling than voting? That's fascinating.

Every person I've ever voted for is a flawed human being, and I don't see that streak ending next year.

7. Dick Whitman

Not just message board conversations. Real life, as well. And other social media. I don't know that I want to have a dog in the fight. It's kind of liberating. Plus, I just kind of feel like checking out of the intellectually dishonest, partisan bickering that American politics have become, from the floor of Congress all the way to the corner tavern.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You could do what I've done of late: Vote for the least-recognizable (and/or most off-brand) candidate in front of you.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. dixiehack

I barely understand this line of reasoning when a political reporter does it. For someone outside of journalism altogether, it makes no sense to me. When you vote for a candidate you aren't signing a blood oath to protect their honor against every real and perceived slight for all eternity. You're making a choice based on the information at hand. Sometimes it works out the way you like and sometimes not. But your ego isn't wrapped up in it, or at least shouldn't be.

10. Dick Whitman

No, but that's certainly how people act. And it's definitely what they assume is driving the opinion of others.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"Based on the information at hand." Sure.

old_tony likes this.
  12. dixiehack

This probably come across harsher than intended, but so the hell what? The approval of others is nice but it isn't vital. I vote very differently now than the overwhelming majority of my friends and family, but we still respect/love each other. Or in a very few cases we don't, and a relationship dies, but life goes on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.