1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except that isn't true, either, but keep making stuff up to sell that narrative.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lots and lots and lots of people remembered him and were quoted about it. I had a professor who remembered him. They were in the same Friday night poker group.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nice try.

The second half of what I wrote makes clear the caveat: That if she made it up, she's diabolical and deeply committed to the lie, which, clearly she was. ITT, IIRC, there was some talk of creating some middle ground where something might have happened, just not the way Jackie said it did, a middle ground that struck me as untenable, though not impossible.

Further, while your point is not precisely a non-sequitur, it presumes that I have the equal amount of evidence on an anonymous woman in a RS story and a man with 100s of hours of TV, many books, and a recent, consistent history of hyperbole at least and embellishment at most. My take that Carson is ultimately full of it is based on the totality of what I've seen, heard and read. Now, I might be wrong, but it's my general view.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's commenting on the immaturity of the rest of America to engage in the kind of civil debate where he plays both side against the middle and people indulge it.

It's called being Olympian.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If anything, it was Columbia, where he was a transfer student, who lived off campus, where a lot of people didn't know him.

I think he admittedly was more interested in discovering New York City than in integrating himself on campus.

6. YankeeFan

Alma, just out of curiosity -- and Devil's take that Carson was a complete unknown before his presidential run -- how familiar were you with him, and his life story, before this cycle's campaign?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Carson's been in evangelical circles - that I no longer traffic much in - for some time. I was familiar with his general life story from the Cuba Gooding movie, of all things, and the book.

Id say full political awareness? Last 12-18 months.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

I knew he was gay!!

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He converted for the jokes.

HC likes this.
  11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hmm, on the wire budget this morning

CARSON-ANALYSIS - Another Ben Carson story: How he refused a DNA test to settle a 'blackmail' paternity suit. 1,165 words, by Justin Wm. Moyer (Post).

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.