1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Isnt that sexist? Fellow connotes males bonding, why are they excluding females?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've got a black neighbor. We have a shared white neighbor we think is racist. I think my black neighbor and I should organize a protest to get the mayor ousted for his lack of control here.

This entire episode makes no sense to me. Missouri is a mostly rural, redneck state full of racists. Does it shock anyone then that the state's flagship university is full of rural, redneck racists? How is that the university president's problem to deal with? That's a cultural issue, not an academic one. Is he supposed to put a question on the application for enrollment: "Are you racist? Yes? No? Note - marking yes will disqualify you from potential enrollment at this university." I mean really, what do you expect? The problem here is that we have a state with two major metros, and all the city and suburban kids who have never experienced rural redneckery are mixing with rural rednecks who have never experienced any minorities and grew up in a culture that blames minorities for all of life's ills. This is what happens. Doesn't take a sociologist with a PhD to figure that one out. If I was in line to take over as the next university president, I'd be very concerned, because that's not a position that will be able to affect much change in this, and pretty soon it'll be your head on the chopping block the next time some redneck calls a black kid the n-word.

And then the protestors, after weeks of wanting this to become a national news story, block the media the moment the media come calling ostensibly to broadcast to the world that the protestors won and got exactly what they said they wanted. What sense does that make? And this don't-call-her-a-journalism-professor gets in the middle and acts like she doesn't understand the first amendment? Her academic career should be finished. It's one thing for a bunch of hipster millennial morons to protest and block media because they don't know any better, but she should have never been out there in that capacity, or at least not said/done what she said/did. If she wants to join the protest, fine, but don't block the media and then expect to head off to teach students about the first amendment in class.

I'm technically in the millennial generation, but I hate this we're-all-exactly-equal-and-nobody-is-better-than-anyone-else-in-any-way-and-if-you-disagree-I'll-protest-and-hold-my-breath-until-you-get-fired bullshit that they live by. If a Halloween costume offends you, either confront the person wearing it or turn away. That's not a reason to get an administrator fired. If you're a minority and feel like your university is full of racists, protest all you want but what can you possibly expect the president to do other than expel those who can be proved to commit those acts? And if you can't prove who did it, he's pretty well hamstrung. I applaud that they're bringing attention and trying to affect change, by good lord this might be the least effective way to do it.

murphyc likes this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

The last thing these protesters believe is that no one is better than anyone else. Every single one believes they are better than every person who disagrees with them. You couldn't find a better example of the arrogance and intolerance of modern American liberalism.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You've convinced me. I'm joining the Tolerant Conservative party today.

6. Mr. Sunshine

You have every right to remain a hypocrite.

7. Mr. Sunshine

What is the Conservative party?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not my work, but pretty damn good ...

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its about the fourth time this has been posted here.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love what these football players did.

If people in charge didn't like it, they could have called the football players' bluff. Revoke their scholarships.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Between babysitting and work, I might have missed a few posts.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

The reality is that the threatened football boycott had a lot more to do with the resignation than the student activism, but the stories yesterday barely mentioned it.

Draft saved Draft deleted