1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the point of the article.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I read this earlier, and I'm glad he acknowledged Politico's piss-poor job reporting this.

I'm not 100 percent convinced by his "debunking," though. Remember: Carson wrote the book in 1990, before he was ever trying to construct a political sellable narrative. I don't think the Bateman piece necessarily proves that Carson is lying, although that's one possibility. He could also be very, very bad with dates and details. Remember, Westmoreland was alive for the first 15 years that Carson was peddling this story. And it was out there to be vetted for 25 years now. I don't think he's a liar. I think he's sloppy, and never had to care about details and precision until now.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I heard Marco Rubio made $1 million on his? Who is buying these, except maybe "donors?"

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

BDC99 likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

I've bought political autobiographies by Obama, Biden, Hillary, and Mitt Romney.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Rubio was a county commissioner or something when his came out, though.

7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

If he was president of Law Review he is the only president of Law Review who was never published. I'm not saying he wasn't, I am saying 1) he was never published; 2) it's not based on merit.

8. Dick Whitman

I honestly have no idea what the fuck you're getting at here. That Barack Obama has invented his entire autobiography, without getting called on it by anyone at any of the institutions he associates himself with? All of this evidence? Manufactured by journalists.

Is that what you're getting at?

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I disagree. If you're not a participant, I really don't care too much what you think about the topic. You had a chance to actually have your your opinion heard through the ballot box.

As much as I disagree with Dick on a lot of things, he's a thoughtful person. We need more of those people to vote, not less.

HC likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The timeline is his strongest argument.

If the choice had been don't go to college because you can't afford it, or attend the USMA for free, does it occur to the author that it might be worth waiting a year if it was too late in the process to join the next class?

It never came to that for Carson because he did get a scholarship to Yale.

The idea that in 1969 that the Army Chief of Staff wouldn't recognize that the Academy would be interested in Ben Carson is ridiculous.

West Point would do all it could to get a 2015 version of Ben Carson to apply and attend. They have an office dedicated to it.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't it?

12. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I don't understand his steadfastness that West Point "doesn't recruit."

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.