1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to point out that guys like Kerry and W. went to ivies at a time when ivies didn't give every special snowflake an A+++ for showing up.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Why would he "own it" if it could cost him votes, or play into Republican caricatures of him?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which is why Kerry couldn't get into an Ivy for law school.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's also fair to point out that John Kerry is the only presidential candidate in recent memory to authorize the release of his own transcripts.

Mitt Romney - declined
    John McCain - declined
    Barack Obama - declined
    John Kerry - released
    Al Gore - leaked
    George W. Bush - leaked

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe they should have written an essay that said they wanted a BB gun for Christmas instead.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's pretty ridiculous. The opposition was already painting him as a radical leftist. Would the names of a couple classes he took in college really have cost him votes? Anyone who would give a crap about that was voting against him anyway.

I'm not buying your theory.

And you own it because it's, you know, your history. Everyone should own his history. Have we done things we regret? Sure. It's experience -- you learn from it and you move on. Maybe you took Leftist Radicalism 301 and came away realizing how insane it was. That's part of your background.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I doubt his mediocre Yale undergraduate GPA is what kept him out of an Ivy league law school. Admissions in the 1960s were no where near as competitive as they are today or even as they were in the 80s. Law schools were still not very integrated and very few women went. It was also, as Dick point out, at a time when a C grade was still average - not like today where average is likely to be a B+ or A-

8. Dick Whitman

Bullshit. Yes, it would have cost him votes, the same way that Romney's "47 percent" comment cost him votes. It reinforced to undecided voters the opposition's characterization of the candidate.

Oh, I'm sure that's how the Clinton and McCain campaigns would have treated it, too.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I doubt very seriously any class he could have taken in college or law school would have raised such an uproar among anyone but the Rush Limbaugh crowd.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Everyone should have to own his or her history, except Mitt Romney.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know what this means, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.