1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Any apology generally doesn't cut it when an Assistant Professor threatens a student with bodily harm. Terminated with cause is the only outcome

schiezainc likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So here's part of the conclusion I've come to...maybe it's wrong...

At least part of what happened on Monday was some busybody adults - with authority they assumed, I'm guessing - making near-unilateral decisions on what they thought was right for the protest, then imposing those ideas on the easily-swayed collegiate protesters, then loudly policing the situation to enforce those ideas. Once they were exposed with those videos, the protest movement itself understood how bad it looked, and just reversed course.

This movement is a mess. It is several causes bound up into one thing, with a hunger striker in the middle who I suspect is trying to account for several different groups of people in his protest, with fringe busybodies winding it all up.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Or, you know, it's a group of college kids who haven't experienced the real world yet pretending that the limited life experiences they have had thus far gives them an unequaled authority to speak on the social issues our country has spent decades trying to resolve because, if we would just listen to them, everything would suddenly become equal for everyone and we'd all live happily ever after.

cjericho likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Maybe. But you saw the loudest voices on that video Monday. They weren't students. At the end of the full video, you had Click walking the perimeter making sure the media was kept out. Do you think some 21-year-old gave her a blood oath charge to do that, or do you think some friend of Butler's said "can you try and keep the media out of here?" and she ran with it?

Kids are narcissists. Protesters, too. You think their first inkling was to resist anyone who wanted to ask them what they thought? Butler talked to CNN almost immediately after the hunger strike ended.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My guess is she got wrapped up in the emotions of the moment and, without thinking, tried to enforce the idea that these kids were entitled to some bullshit "safe space" because it's a concept they probably talked about in the time prior to the media arriving and forgot how it would look to outsiders.
    I mean, I get it. It's no different than in Ferguson. Sometimes rational people make illogical choices (Like smashing a police car window) because their brains get shut off and all they're thinking about is the emotions and the sense that it's "us vs. them."
    In this case, this idiot of a woman probably didn't respect the college kid as a legit journalist and decided because he's a college kid who may not have shared her views of what was happening simply by being objective that she could exert her "authority" over him the same way she might exert her authority over someone who was disrupting her class.
    Bottom line is this woman screwed up and was rightfully crucified online because of it.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Basler was just as bad, or even worse. She was close to inciting a riot or getting the student photog beaten by the crowd.

Gator likes this.
  8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

It's quite amazing that the president can be forced to resign for something he didn't do, but these fucking yahoos seem to be pretty safe for things they did do. I swear I'm living in Bizzaro World.

schiezainc likes this.
  10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

schiezainc likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Greeks are marginalized?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wish Boom was still here. Yesterday Mikey Fatcessa was "correcting" a caller by telling him this Mizzou situation was a big deal and part of the reason was because a kid went on a hunger strike. Guess if you never miss a meal or a snack, a one-day hunger strike is monumental never mind one week.

schiezainc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted