1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The thing is, I see no evidence that the protest leaders had NOT seen the video before their tweets that night defending the process.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On the demographics of Mizzou and the wealthy elite from the St. Louis, very few from the Ladue/Chesterfield/Clayton suburbs go to Mizzou unless they are marginal students. If they're A students, they go out east, Ivy, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Virginia or Stanford/Cal.

Which means that, of the affluent kids from St Louis suburbs going to Mizzou, you get Parkway, Oakville or Lafayette kids who aren't in diverse student bodies you see further east or north. For the rich kids, you'll get B- students from Ladue or Clayton who are academic underachievers but will probably thrive in the Greek system, sensitively and diversity be damned.

I would say the J-school may be the only subsection of Mizzou that is a national draw. I'm from Missouri (both KC and STL) but didn't go to college at Mizzou for this exact reason. I have family in Columbia and spent a lot of weekends partying there when I was in high school. If I would have gone to college anywhere in Missouri, it would have been Wash U.

Mizzou always struck me as a mediocre college, academically... with the exception of the J-school. Definitely a redneck vibe, between the small-town kids and the Camaro-driving suburban kids from South County of St. Louis.

Rusty Shackleford likes this.
  3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Who cares if the kid's dad is a millionaire?

I'm not sure why that matters.

4. jr/shotglass

Well, it does kind of jump out that one of the demands of Wolfe was that he admit his white privilege.

Sort of the starving pot calling the kettle black, I would say.

heyabbott, cjericho and Gator like this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So then I guess when Joe Morgan gets tackled at LAX by police who put guns to his head, or when James Blake gets taken down violently on the street in New York with no warning because someone thought he looked a little like a robber they might be chasing, those guys are rich so they shouldn't think they've been discriminated against.

That's kind of the point that people are trying to make. Nobody on campus saw the guy as rich. Everybody saw him as black and, according to him, treated him as such. As mentioned in my writeup of my history at the school, I do not find that supposition difficult to believe in the least.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

butler has emerged in recent months as the center of the movement. He didn't start it and I'm not sure he knows exactly what to do with it.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Isn't Wednesday supposed to have some kind of monster storm system in those parts?

10. jr/shotglass

Whether the kid specifically called out Wolfe for white privilege, he was the face of the group that did call him out. You do see how that makes this a little, uh, eyebrow-raising?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No. He remains black.

12. jr/shotglass

I see what you're saying.

I'll take my point for $500, Alex.

Draft saved Draft deleted