1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I really hope for your sake you know the answer to this.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Columbia Daily Tribune interviewed Head about the incident. What did we/they learn about the incident as a result of the interview?

Well, they put it on Hitt St. too, but we don't learn that in a quote from Head.

We get exactly four quotes from head out of the interview, none of which adds any detail to the story:

“This happens to students all the time,” Head said in an interview. “I talked about … what it means to be transgender and to be spit on walking down Ninth Street … or holding hands in a same-sex relationship and having people throw drinks at you. It sickens me … that people think this kind of behavior is OK.”
    “I don’t want to come back in 20 years and be having the same conversation,” Head said.
    “In the moment, you’re not worried about the license plate number,” he said.
    “This is home, and I just want this place to be better,” Head said.

MU student leader voices concern about discrimination on campus

In fact, we specifically don't learn any details:

Loftin encouraged anyone who has safety concerns to contact the University of Missouri Police Department. Head said MU police contacted him for more information about last Friday’s incident but that he did not have a lot of details to provide.

And, from everything I can tell, the only conversation between the cops and head are a result of the cops reaching out to him, not the other way around.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Serious question here.
    Let's say this did happen. Let's say this happened exactly the way the person said it did.
    He was called the N-word by some jackoff who may or may not have been a student.
    OK.
    So what?
    Why is this some sort of national crisis? Why has this touched off a national story and national movement?
    Yeah. It sucks. But it happens. And it will always happen because no matter how many campus speeches we have, and no matter how many t-shirts we make, racism happens.
    What was the President of this school supposed to do? Bar hate speech in and around campus? How does that even work?
    The more I hear of this story, the more I hate everyone involved.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. So, Ben Carson is running for President, right?

But, Payton Head is the Student Body President. He's not some random guy with a complaint.

And, his claim set of a chain of events that included a hunger strike, a shutdown of the football program of a D1 school, and ultimately the resignation of the University President.

The campus has been in chaos for weeks now.

And, nobody has pressed him for a single detail about the story that sparked all of this.

How is that possible?

schiezainc likes this.
  5. RickStain

ITT: the student body presidency and President of the United States of America were attempted to be passed off as more or less the same gig.

God I'm glad to be back.

I once had a student body president burst into tears in my office because he felt like the newspaper was being mean to Greek Life. 6-4 frat dude bawling all over the 5-7 newspaper nerd's desk.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The short answer is: It doesn't. It would be unconstitutional.

I'm with you. I'm a little baffled about what they're pissed off about here.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Would you post on this thread? RICKSTAIN WOULD.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

They probably didn't want to infringe on his safe space.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Was he black?

RickStain likes this.
  10. RickStain

Of course not. This was a public college in the midwest.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That was because you got more bitches than him back in the day.

RickStain likes this.
  12. RickStain

That is probably not true.

Draft saved Draft deleted