1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. I don't know what the University President was supposed to do, or why he's being held responsible, as opposed to any other community leader.

But...

I'm still looking for the basics.

Big city newspapers have covered the story. The school has one of the most highly acclaimed campus paper.

I can read any number of stories about how people on the campus feel, and what their reaction to this incident was.

Nowhere can I find the who, what, where, when of the story.

Who was there? Where and when did it happen? What did the truck and/or people look like?

These are the basics. Why can't I find them anywhere?

Why can't I find any evidence that anyone even tried to learn the basic facts?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The "I just want answers" concern trolling is silly.

Feel free to posit reasons why you think nobody has deemed the angle you want covered has been covered.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Feelings are more important than facts.

old_tony likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think that this is something that's unique to this story. Journalists seem to frequently not push for details, even though you do get told to do so in school and in seminars, usually narrative journalism seminars.

We did a pretty involved murder investigation at work, and we were pushing for every last detail. More than the cops ever did, even.

Lawyers might be awful people and everyone hates them, but they are way more aggressive about demanding facts than journalists. Sometimes, I get the feeling that a lot of journalists think that facts - down-and-dirty, shoe-leather-attained facts - are just silly details.

6. YankeeFan

And, it's not that Carson and Head are equivalent, but reporters are determined to learn the facts of what happened 48 years ago in Carson's life, and are shocked to learn that he might have a few details mixed up.

Meanwhile, no on can bother themselves to ask Head about something that just happened.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"It's not that they're equivalent. But here, I'm going to equivocate them again."

Reporters are lazy. But the good ones cover presidential races and the bad ones work in Columbia, Missouri.

8. YankeeFan

100%. The story, the narrative, the lessons to be learned, are more important than the facts.

It's funny. Jackie's story fell apart because of all the details. They could be disproven.

This story has no details. Not a single one. I have no idea what happened, and neither does anyone else.

Maybe that's the genius of it. Without details, there's nothing to discuss except for the reaction to it. It's impossible to pick apart a story that has no setting, no timeline, no witnesses, and no description.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Shouldn't the Jewish kids be the ones hacked off about the poop swastika?

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Did anyone see Al Sharpton in Columbia leading up to all this?

11. YankeeFan

That's too easy. Reporters have spent time on the story. Some have talked to Head. It takes no effort to ask about the incident. Why didn't they?

12. Dick Whitman

What's ironic about that is that Erdely actually did seem to push for the kind of details that so many others just let rest. She wasn't savvy enough to realize that they were all bullshit. But she pushed for them.

13. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should go into the coffe and pretzels business. You are pretty good at twisting logic.

I have seen multiple stories from black former or current students/faculty describing the same types of incidents as Head says happened.

So it seems that this is something that black students have experienced through the years at Missouri. Is it more pervasive than at other schools? I don't know.

But if you agree that the culture needs fixing and the president doesn't seem to be taking it seriously, he should be shown the door.

What happens next is the question.

Draft saved Draft deleted