1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Potentially. Why, does that sound implausible?

Is there any evidence that the story is true? Any at all?

I've read dozens of stories about it. Not one reporter appears to have tried to even nail down the details of the incident, let alone find any witnesses to it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Acting like you are concerned would be a start. I think there is a balance to strike between being sensitive to the issues of all students vs. bending over backward for every campus crazy.

You also could send out a strong message that if you are found shouting racist expletives or harassing others, you will be kicked out of school, etc.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, finally a straight answer without barreling through without a reply. Ought to try that a little more often. I mean, you're still journalist-bashing, but at least you're doing it with SOME level of transparency.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was probably the same people who threw something at Jackie when they saw her on campus.

old_tony and doctorquant like this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So why did the president and chancellor resign?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Thank you. Was that so hard?

I think I probably agree. If you investigate it further, you're not going to come up with anything, and the mere fact that you are investigating is essentially accusatory, so it's a difficult path for any particular member of the media to take when there's an easy story right there.

schiezainc likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Yeah. That's unconstitutional.

schiezainc likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

The story can't be verified precisely because there are no details. It's perfect.

Jackie's story could not have been disproven if she had provided no details. If she had just said she was gang raped on campus, we'd never know she made it all up.

It was because she named a frat, described her date, and because we eventually got her friends' side of the story that we learned it was false.

Hell, I still don't even know if it happened on or off campus, or if anyone even called the police, which is the one thing he does claim happened.

9. YankeeFan

So, there are lessons to be learned, even if the story isn't true!

Just like with the UVa rape story!

We can't be interested in simply learning the truth, we must express empathy first.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not just one incident, YF. Maybe try decaf?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So, in other words, the entire swastika story is based upon nothing more than an anonymous flyer stuck to a wall, but not with a single identifiable person who'll actually claim to have seen it? Am I reading that correctly?

What a joke. When this story broke the media world widely reported that detail as if fact, instead of something that likely never actually happened. I swear, it is frighteningly easy to manipulate public opinion today.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  12. Dick Whitman

Same thing with the Rolling Stone article. Who cared if it happened? It accurately reflected rape culture on campus. That was what mattered.

Draft saved Draft deleted