1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I didn't see where Payton Head analyzed the prevalence of racism in the United States in the past to the prevalence of racism today. Could you point me to that piece?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

SJ.com?

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How dare you say that, honky!

4. Mr. Sunshine

Head and many of his followers are racists themselves, but they destroyed the president in the arena of public opinion. From everything I've read, Wolfe was an absentee landlord. There was a void to be filled and some PR-savvy students took advantage of it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you been to a college campus lately?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wolfe was the SYSTEM president. Yes, the system is dominated by Columbia, but he was responsible for three other campuses (with close to 40,ooo other students).

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't really feel I have a handle on all the outrage and why someone would go on a hunger strike, why the football team would threaten a boycott and why several dozen professors would agree to a walkout.

But if the president is an "absentee landlord," then adios.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Post lede from the story about the poop swastika:

The swastika appeared overnight, drawn with human feces on a college dorm’s brand new white wall.

But the racial tension had been brewing for months.

Sounds like a great introduction for a novel, but it's not reporting.

Whether it's Mark Bowden writing about photos of bin Laden's burial, or Bill O'Reilly writing about a White House memo, reporters shouldn't write about something as fact, or describe something they didn't see, without telling us how they know about what they are describing.

Report. Give us the fact. Don't write a narrative.

Did the WaPo reporter do anything to confirm that the poop swastika existed?

We have a whole article about what led up to the poop swastika, and what happened as a result of it, but nothing that shows it was ever there.

RickStain likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Show the poop or you got no scoop.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Right, but all indications are that he had chances to keep this from snowballing and didn't.

At the very least, send a consigliere, play the game. Appearances are important. More important than, well, you know.

old_tony likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sipping from a plastic cup, Jackie grimaced, then discreetly spilled her spiked punch onto the sludgy fraternity-house floor.

12. Mr. Sunshine

#TawanaBrawley

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted