1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Whitlock's correct about the definition of racism being warped by today's attention-seekers.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You wanna see how fucked-up academia can be? The prez says he's going to create a new position -- Chief Diversity Officer -- and, in the interim before a full-timer can be hired, he's going to fill that slot with the current Associate Provost for Diversity, Inclusion, and Engagement.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ok. Just went through those posts.

Again, where did in any of those posts did I suggest that, "that black people generally are trying to "get over" or game the system, or at least in numbers disproportionate to their percentage of the population?"

The discrepancies in Obama's biography aren't unusual, or limited to African-Americans and I never said they were.

As for Dolezal, well, she did lie, and she's also not black.

I think what you do find is that when you have people interested in enacting social change, or in becoming prominent in the protest/social justice movement, it can be a tough slog.

One thing that can accelerate change, is a major incident, a major injustice.

Well, what happens if you don't have a major incident, it injustice on you watch? What do you do if you're an activist, a protestor, and you have nothing to protest?

Well, if you're Rachel Dolezal, you make up a story. That's what she did, right?

And, we've seen other instances of this, haven't we?

I don't know if Head made up the story about being screamed at but a "few guys" who continuously called him the "N" word, but I also know that no one seems to interested in whether or not it happened.

Apparently, there's a problem with racism on campus, just like there's a problem with rape culture on campus. The truth of the underlying incident, that spurred "action" and "discussion" isn't as important as the "change" that must come as a result.

5. YankeeFan

That there's no picture of the poop swastika or the swastika drawn in ashes is odd, if they really happened.

But, what about the Head incident? We see from all of these police incidents that cell phone video is everywhere. If there's an incident on a city buss, there's cell hone video.

We know precious little about the details of the incident, but here's what we do know:

- It happened on a Friday night

- it happened on Hitt St., which looks to be a pretty main road, which runs right through campus.

- it was loud (He says they screamed)

- multiple people took part (some guys)

- it went on for a while (continuously)

So, we have a loud, ongoing incident of overt racism, on a major street, on a Friday night, and no one saw it. No one got cell phone video of it.

Is this believable?

Wouldn't there be a lot of people out and about on a college campus on a Friday night. (Oh, and I looked, it was partly cloudy, with a low of 56 degrees on September 11th, so the weather would not have kept people off the streets: http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/65201:4:US)

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hitt isn't a major street. Much of it goes off campus. (My off-campus house was 100 feet from an intersection with Hitt.) Even the part that's on-campus, that is a very lightly trafficked area on a Friday night because it's at the far opposite corner from Greektown where the big parties are. It's mostly class buildings in that corner.

If that's what you're basing your picture on, you're incorrect. When my girlfriend needed to walk down Hitt Street at night, I would always go with her for safety, that's how isolated that stretch is.

7. YankeeFan

Fair enough. I only know what I could see from a map. Wasn't sure where bars, frats, etc., are.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

See? This journalism stuff is HARD!

BDC99 likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Yeah, no kidding.

It took me forever to get that information.

Imagine what someone could find out if they actually talked to head, and asked him some questions.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

But you engaged in idle speculation first. And jumped to conclusions.

Yes, journalism is going bad in many places. Are you helping it along there?

franticscribe likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

A: I made no claim to be practicing journalism

2: I made it clear that I was speculating

Compare that to journalists who write about brand new white walls, smeared with human feces, that they neither saw, nor saw any evidence of, or people who reported on an incident, while speaking only to the person making the claims, and didn't appear to ask him a single probing question.

12. YankeeFan

Draft saved Draft deleted