1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For a counter view, tak a look at David Simon's Twitter feed. Even though he's just a "former journalist," I think he has a pretty good take on the protest, safe space, etc.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As a piece of journalism, I would give it a D- (I grade inflate.)

As an audition for a Mizzou communications opening, I would give it an A+.

doctorquant and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The second comment underneath that article: "Geez, I hate millennials."

I don't HATE millennials -- that's too encompassing -- but I sure understand the sentiment after that chickenshit.

Now, excuse me while I go someplace where my whiteness won't be violated.

schiezainc likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You should see his twitter feed!

doctorquant likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Remind me never to get on the shitlist of National Review columnist Kevin D. Williamson (he's writing about Yale, but it works here, too) ...

Riptide likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out how, if Mizzou is such a racist place, the student body president is a gay, African-American, from Chicago.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And here's an article that gets to the root of the "FREE SPEECH!" calls elsewhere. (I give much more benefit of the doubt to posters here, because hello, free speech is kinda the foundation of the profession.)

Race and the Free-Speech Diversion - The New Yorker

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bag money. He's from Chicago.

9. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

If it's like my alma mater (not Mizzou, thank God), no one votes. (This is by no means an implication that people would reject a gay African-American.)

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

God, what a crock of shit ...
    And what was this "precipitating incident"? An email from the wife of the house master pondering "the consequences of an institutional (which is to say: bureaucratic and administrative) exercise of implied control over college students." Which is pretty ironic: The students say Yale's not creating a "safe" environment, and as evidence they proffer an unbelievably mild criticism (if it can be taken as such) of Yale's trying to do just that.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Reading that, I'm reminded of the old George Carlin bit: If you're one of those people who just "needs a little space," then please, go the fuck outside.

If you don't want journalists to cover what you do, don't do it in public. It's like taking a shit at the 50-yard line during Saturday's game, and then complaining about the lack of toilet stalls.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted