1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If my own college experience is any indication, rarely. Although for me it was mostly bong rips and Grand Theft Auto when I wasn't newspaperin'.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

More people resigning over stupid shit is only going to embolden these lunatics.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's stopping the dean or whoever gets these lists of "demands" from telling the students to sit down, shut the fuck up and learn, or leave? Especially the private schools, but even the public ones.

I get that you want to "foster growth" or some such, but students are still students and faculty are in positions of authority, where they ostensibly have some control over behavior.

Batman likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reagan:
    Those people told you for days in advance that if the University sought to go ahead with that construction on that property, that they were going to physically destroy the University. Now why did you-

Faculty Member:
    Now Governor, there were offers to negotiate many times.

Reagan:
    Negotiate? What is to negotiate? What is- Don't you- Wait a minute. On that issue don't you simply explain to these students that the University has a piece of property that it boughtfor future construction of the campus and it was now going ahead with the plan? What do you mean negotiate?

Faculty Member:
    Governor Reagan, the time has passed when the University can just ride roughshod over the desires of the majority of its student body-

Reagan:
    Well if it just-

Faculty Member:
    The University is a public institution-

Reagan:
    That's right-

Faculty member:
    It's an important institution-

Reagan:
    But the-

Faculty Member:
    -to all of its own community and for the community of Berkeley that live around it.

Reagan:
    All of it began the first time some of you who know better - and are old enough to know better - let young people think that they had the right to choose the laws they would obey as long as they were doing it in the name of social protest.

jr/shotglass and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. YankeeFan

"It began a year ago when the so-called 'free-speech advocates' who, in truth, have no appreciation for freedom, were allowed to assault and humiliate the symbol of law and order - a policeman on campus - and that was the moment when the ring leaders should have been taken by the scruff of the neck and thrown out of the university once and for all."

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The majority of these things are not "social protests" at all. They're temper tantrums.

Some affect real change. And good on them.

The vast majority do not, because change is only "needed" in the mind of a spoiled, hypersensitive brat or two.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Be careful not to fall into the trap of assuming that the administration and the faculty are on the same page. Professors often joke about there being two classes of people who work in higher education -- faculty and "not" -- and administration definitely falls into the latter category. Often the faculty and the administration have interests that align ... but sometimes they don't. And when they don't, faculties have shown themselves to be more than willing to go "by any means necessary" to stick it to the administration.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

But oh the artistry if one could.

8. YankeeFan

"I personally am tired of hearing that first amendment rights protect students when they are creating a hostile and unsafe learning environment for myself and for other students here. I think that it's important for us to create that distinction and create a space where we can all learn from one another and start to create a place of healing rather than a place where we are experiencing a lot of hate like we have in the past."

Missouri Student VP: I'm Tired Of Hearing People Use First Amendment Rights To Create "Hostile" Atmosphere

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

With such a space being defined as an environment in which I teach you how you must think and behave.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm tired of hearing that my dead children don't trump your gun rights.

11. YankeeFan

Liberals used to protest to ensure their rights were ensured.

Now, they want protection from the 1st Amendment, and want to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. As you can see clearly from this thread, we liberals are all in lockstep agreement.

Draft saved Draft deleted