1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The directives come straight down from our union thug overlords.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they get them from Soros himself.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

These students are in for a rude awakening in the real world, where they can't go through life as whiny, self-serving assholes who never take responsibility. Unless, of course, they become politicians.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nah, it's just going to be the new normal:

So-called helicopter parents first made headlines on college campuses a few years ago, when they began trying to direct everything from their children's course schedules to which roommate they were assigned.

With millennial children now in their 20s, more helicopter parents are showing up in the workplace, sometimes even phoning human resources managers to advocate on their child's behalf.

Megan Huffnagle, a former human resources manager at a Denver theme park, recalls being shocked several years ago when she received a call from a young job applicant's mother.

"An employee was hired as an IT intern, and the parent called and proceeded to tell me how talented her son was, and how he deserved much more [compensation], and that he could make much more money outside of this position," Huffnagle says.

Despite the pressure, Huffnagle stood firm, and the young man ultimately accepted the job. But the new employee was embarrassed by his mother's phone call, Huffnagle says. "I think there was a little bit of the roll of the eyes and a bit of a blush," she recalls.

Helicopter Parents Hover In The Workplace : NPR

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

During the coverage of some dust up at Harvard, probably the Larry Summers firing, an op-ed pointed out that the faculty isn't a monolith. Professors in different fields have different concerns and more importantly different levels of interest in the issues. The result is the faculty "voice" becomes dominated by the liberal arts professors in the college.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been covered before, but who exactly are these parents? Younger Boomers or older Gen-Xers?

As a Gen-Xer myself, it seems very unlike "us" to do such things. I certainly will never do this shit with my kids, though I do know at least one couple my age who would.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh man, this again.

I remember this was a huge deal about 10 years ago -- the WSJ had an article about all the things companies were doing to lure young workers and keep them happy (one got a gift card if he got there on time five days in a row).

Then the economy tanked and young workers got hit hardest. I wonder why? So this could be that sign again.

It truly amazes me. We barely even know the teachers of our older kids (HS and junior high). I could not imagine interfering with a college professor, much less a workplace environment. But I see a few of our friends and I think, yeah, they'll probably do that.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Or SJ.commers.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That's (one of) your problem(s). You think this place is the real world.

11. TheSportsPredictor

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted