1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jeb has a fine record as Governor of Florida.

But, he's not going to be able to get out of his brother's shadow. He can't criticize him, and he can't defend him.

Trump exposed this in the debate. The last thing Jeb wants to do is talk about his brother, and Trump forced him to. And, if you want the Republicans to win, this is a good thing, because it would have happened in the general election. For some reason, Jeb didn't expect it in the primaries, and answered poorly.

I think Jeb is smart, qualified, and would make a good president. But, as the nominee, he takes away a major argument against Hillary. And, it would be a repeat of the last two elections.

In 2008, Obama's weak spot was his inexperience, and then McCain goes and nominates someone without a lot of experience as his VP.

in 2012, Obamacare was a weakness, and the GOP nominated the architect of it.

We can't nominate another Bush, and then mock the Dems for nominating another Clinton. And, Hillary's already dealt with all of Bill's policies that have become unpopular over the years. She's disavowed them all -- and so has Bill.

That's not going to happen with Jeb, and George, so he'd be in a box.

Jeb would be a fine President, but he's not a good primary candidate, and would be a worse general election candidate.

BTExpress and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thing is, Jeb! had to know from the time George's presidency ended, and probably a few years before, that it was the one thing he had to be prepared for attacks on if he were ever to run himself.

Yet, every time anyone brings George up, Jeb! looks clueless. Someone being that oblivious to his biggest weakness doesn't exactly inspire anyone.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

100%.

I mean, it's a bit of a delicate thing, but he's repeatedly fumbled whenever George's name/record comes up.

Even if he didn't expect it in a Republican primary, he should have had his response ready, for when it inevitably came in a general.

If he couldn't answer the questions, better that we find out now than in the general election.

I almost feel bad for him. He seems like a perfectly nice and smart guy. But, he's not going to throw his brother under the bus, and seems stumped on how to handle the campaign.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't agree with a lot of his policies, but he seems to be a pretty smart policy guy. He doesn't do a good job of connecting and explaining it.

But being a smart policy guy is probably a negative anyway.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like he'd be fun to have a beer with, so not presidential material.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's had eight years to come up with a coherent defense, and he still always acts like the GWB parallels are utterly unanticipated bombshells to him.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Jeb knows his shit, but he is not at all interesting or engaging.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That may say less about Jeb and more about the impossibility of the task.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're giving him way too much credit.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

>>McCain wanted Lieberman. He was talked into Palin when some in his circle played his own "maverick" card against him.

>>Romney's health care plan was a strength he wasn't allowed to use in the general election. If he had...

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There other way to put this: There's good money to be made in running as the Republican presidential nominee if you can financially swing it. Palin didn't run for anything, and look what a career it made for her. Ditto Huckabee. Even Herman Cain turned a buck.

Carson will make many, many, many millions from this run. Trump will, and he knows that. Fiorina? Absolutely.

I do think Rubio is serious about running. I know Cruz is. Cruz is nuts, but I think he's generally sincere about why he's on the stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.