1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yup. No doubt they have all the right-wing sites bookmarked.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm betting they have a lot of places like Huffington, DailyKos and Salon bookmarked. That's where they get their positive coverage. And those sites also are covering the Paris attacks, which really has to piss off the Special Snowflakes.

3. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Hearing some scuttlebutt about Mizzou moving its next home game to Knoxville. Sketchy sources at best.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Right away there's a fact error -- she never, ever taught in the School of Journalism. The closest she got was a "courtesy appointment" that allowed her to sit on graduate review panels; the good doctorquant can weigh in on how meaningful that post is. That might not sound like a huge difference outwardly, communication vs. journalism, but it's a huge distinction there. The J-School removed that courtesy appointment immediately.

I don't have a huge amount of concern for whether she stays. She sounds like a terrible professor, and if she doesn't have tenure, now is the time to get her the fuck out of there. But this is a huge grandstanding move by a legislature that wants to show those damn kids who's boss. State lawmakers earlier distinguished themselves with an attempt to pass a law that any player who refuses to play loses his scholarship immediately -- because, you know, players refusing to play has been such a widespread problem that we need a law covering it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But don't even the eventual J-School students have to take regular classes for a year or two before they can be admitted? So they risk being exposed to muscle-wielding communications professors in their early days, then?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I never was. Communications is typically for folks who went for the J-School and ended up not getting in or otherwise choosing a different route.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd bet there are plenty of wanna-be marketing majors* in communications, too.

*Also known as those who couldn't hack calculus, micro-econ and statistics and therefore weren't admitted into the biz-school as upper-division students.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My daughter is a double major in economics and communications. She picked up the comm major because her debate coach was head of the department and he told her it's one of the best majors to prepare for law school. So I'm guessing there might be a fair number of pre-law types.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Missouri legislators are shocked some faculty study pop culture? Check out any "(Insert area of focus) Studies" field.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Missouri General Assembly is a prime ground for posing and preening and "we farm folk gonna stick it to St. Looie and Kay-Cee."

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This popped up on the Chronicle of Higher Education today ... pretty interesting read:

Melissa Click’s Inbox

Draft saved Draft deleted