1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

True. I can barely stomach anything from McDonald's anymore. The fries still rule, and maybe a double cheeseburger when I'm on the road and starving. But that's about it.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If the Filet O' Fish was still the same as it was in the 1970s, I'd probably have at least one every week. Right now I can't remember the last time I had one.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I haven't had one of the items from long ago since long ago. I still like some of the breakfast items, IF they're hot, which means morning. For road trip reasons, stopped at one at about 11:45 am and ordered a a breakfast item and it was barely above room temperature. Yuck! That may do me for McDonald's for another decade.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Used to love the Filet o Fish and Quarter Pounder, as well. Neither is any good anymore. I so miss the McDLT, but it would probably suck these days too.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For some reason I remember Long John's Silver being semi-decent way back when, and now it might be the worst fast food out there. Lowest of the fucking low...

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

God, I haven't eaten there in 15 years at least.

7. old_tony

We never really had Long John Silver's here when I was a kid, but for a while we had Arthur Treacher's. My goodness, that stuff was crack laced with meth. They were very popular for a while and then within 10 years they were gone. They were frying the fish in peanut oil if I remember correctly and it was probably the most unhealthy fast food out there. It was the only fish I've ever eaten where you'd just pick it up with your hand, dip it in the tartar sauce and eat it. No fork required. And the "chips" were outstanding.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tony, I think you win all fast food threads forever by remembering Arthur Treacher's. Wasn't he Merv Griffin's Ed McMahon? Or was it Mike Douglas's Ed McMahon?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We had Arthur Treacher's up here for a bit when I was a little kid in the early-70s. I remember years ago we had a great "Worst fast food chain" thread and somebody said nothing beat Long John Silver's - which never made it to Canada as far as I know - for "sheer culinary terror".

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I still miss Burger Chef in my hometown...which became a Hardee's...which is now a smoothie/bento box place.

11. old_tony

Merv Griffin's. Does that mean Newman was Arthur Treacher when Kramer moved the Merv set into his apartment?

[​IMG]

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My father loved arthur treachers, and one survived in our town until the early 1990s. I was about 14 and he was pushing 50. We were always the youngest two people in there....including staff. But like old tony said....it was so amazing to eat.

Draft saved Draft deleted